Wednesday 4 September 2013

Day 247 - A full on mid life crisis is coming...xx

Wednesday 4th September

Wishing the utterly amazing Waverly Fitzgerald a very happy birthday.  xx

A cracking day today and I am feeling on a bit of a roll.  The rewilding challenge is very clever indeed.  I have figured out that it is largely to do with perspectives.  Yesterday we climbed a hill which gave us a different perspective on our world and today we had to sit under a tree for 30 minutes.  At the start of todays challenge I failed to see the 'challenge' bit of it and felt slightly deflated by the thought of the task.  I have to say that the dogs weren't sure of it either when all three of us took up residence in a tree. The shifting perspective was immediate though as I realised how seldom I sit so close to either the ground or a tree.  Today was about noticing and I was truly amazed at just how much there was to notice.  The tree and the ground were alive with insects going about their daily business and I was just watching them.  There is something in that, I feel.  Watching others being busy while you are still and quiet seems to be very relaxing.  The shifting perspective continued as Mother Nature offers up her very own light show with pockets of light and casting shadows.  I could have watched that all day. 

A further perspective is a personal one as I observed the three of us treating the task differently. I was under the tree and split my time between making natural sculptures and photographing things that I noticed.  George likes the ivy vines on the tree and also throwing the stick for the dogs from up his tree and Max made the most amazing natural sculpture.  So we brought a personal perspective to he task.



We chatted for a while towards the end about the potential for the space and decided that we could tent the space with muslin fabric and hang mobiles and bells off the trees and spend time there in the summers.  We would never have thought of that if we hadn't been inhabiting the same space as the trees.  Genius.

It is only day 4 and I am a changed woman.  I  have always loved the fact that growing gives me an relationship with the land but this challenge is more about just 'being' outside and I so get that. After my 30 minutes under the tree my day felt completely different. The pace had been taken out of it and I found myself more relaxed than I have been in years.  My recent research into sleep revealed the notion that we have to train our brains to know how to  relax and we don't just do this at night.  We must spend some intervals in our day truly relaxing so that, at night, our brain will recognise that sensation.  30 minutes isn't much out of a day but what a huge difference it could make to our lives. 




I went with the flow of the day and enjoyed lunch with Angie and Charlotte and have spent the rest of it pottering.  It is like my mind finally understands that this is an investment in my health and happiness.  The shifts in perspectives have triggered this response and so the rewilding challenge is proving to be one of my better decisions in life. 

Before my tree exercise I was awake for yet another disappointing sunrise.  I can see where this is going.  I shall have to wait the full 30 days for a decent one and by that time my body clock will have shifted and I will always wake at sunrise....

Checking over night activity on my blog and email revealed the possibility of two small, but perfectly formed, publishing contracts.....little squeal.  I  dare not say anymore as they are a little bit too far ahead and lots of things could go wrong.  Suffice to say that one is with an Australian publisher and the other is with an American publisher. The joy of the reach of Scottish island mum.

My six bags of Lupin seeds were snapped up so that is pleasing.   I will have other seeds in due course.  Drying continues in my studio and I noticed that most of my borage seed pods were empty.  That will mean borage everywhere next year.  My hydrangea heads are drying well as are my calendula blooms so all is calm on Hazelbank.  I have been researching the concept of bohemianism because of a dream I had the other night.  I once did regression therapy and the recurring image was of a gypsy dancing so I decided that must have been me in a previous life.  Having researching bohemianism I have quite decided that this applies to me so I intend to have a full on, technicolour mid life crisis and go all bohemian.  What fun!  Check out my Pinterest board. 

Until tomorrow.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment