Thursday 5 September 2013

Day 248 - forces that make a difference. xx

Thursday 5th September

The most beautiful of late summer days on the island and we are on day 5 of our rewilding challenge.  Today was the day that the shoes and socks came off.  The rewilding authors put together a very powerful case for the need to do this on a regular basis.  Describing the experience as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory strategy we were keen to give it a try.  All sorts of feet have been appearing on the facebook page for the project so it was time we waved the Arran flag once more.  I was interested to read the research of how this simple activity can help with sleep as I am still trying to support some friends who are truly struggling to sleep.  Overall though I was most interested in the way walking bare foot connects you with the earth electrons allowing you the same electrical potential as the earth......


We took off to the Dyemill and this time Molly came too although with the proviso that no shoes were coming off!  This little circular walk through the forest was on our agenda from the start because we knew we would find mushrooms to photograph.  We also knew one side of the walk was full of pine trees and the forest floor would be awash with pinecones.  All these things are on our scavenger list.  I secretly hoped we would find a 'happy hiker' to say hello to as that was burning a hole in George's list! 









Half way through the walk we stepped off a bridge and the shoes and socks came off as we paddled in the icy cold mountain waters and then on the hard rocks.  I will not deny that it was freezing but it was also extraordinary.  Almost immediately I felt more relaxed and a quietness fell over us as we connected with the earth.  This is such a good example of a deeper, inner relaxation that we need to do during the day in order for our minds to recognise that feeling when it is time to sleep at night. 

For me, the Dyemill is all about dappled light and breezes so today was the perfect day to visit.  Half way round the walk we were deep into the task of photographing mushrooms and a happy hiker walked right by!  It was not lost on either Molly or myself that he was a very good looking happy hiker and we considered that a real bonus on the excursion.  I am not sure that fact is relevant to the rewilding challenge but it was most definitely relevant to us.  He said 'Hi' first and Molly and I fell over each other to say 'Hi' back while I stared at George to prompt him.  A few, painful seconds later George realised that this was his chance and uttered a very deep 'hello'.  At that point we all fell about laughing as the hiker was disappearing into the distance and I am quite sure wondering who those mad people were.  George does not care he has placed a very large tick next to this on his scavenger list.  We still have some interesting things on our lists so I anticipate there will be more drama in our scavenger hunt.


On the way down from the forest we came across nature's playground in the form of a fallen tree trunk.  Max was on it in a second determined to walk the length of it despite its height.  Of course when one child does it they all have to do it including my 20 year old daughter!  You will be pleased that I resisted the temptation as I was official photographer and I took my role very seriously. 

Back home and it was time to review the photographs and decide on which ones we would post and what we would say about our challenge today.  Reflecting on the feet in the water and on the rocks I did realise that the pain I have had in my back the past few days was much improved so something was definitely going on.  I have been studying the endocrine system with Harry for the last week or so and I was interested in its relationship to the nervous system.  In grounding ourselves in this way we are improving the balance of our sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems but I also believe that there is a chemical or hormonal shift when you walk bare feet on the earth.  I feel a tiny experiment coming on.... Every day for the rest of the challenge I am going to ground myself to the earth by walking barefoot and we shall see what happens over a longer period of time.  How fabulous would it be if I have stumbled across a form of pain relief?  How much easier would my life be?  I will, of course, keep you posted on developments. 

The rest of the day has been about pottering around the tunnel for my timely early autumn jobs.  The harvesting of my sweet peas seeds are underway so I will doing another seed giveaway soon.  It occurred to me that some of you may never have harvested seeds from your own plants before.  I should, therefore, say do let mother nature do all the work.  She will grow the pods and the seeds within and let this lovely late sun dry the pods before you harvest.  We are often too quick to clear up our gardens at the end of the growing season and miss opportunities to harvest seeds.  I am still harvested a very pleasing amount of tomatoes daily and we have used them to make tomato sauces to freeze and tonight we shall be using some more in the roast vegetables for supper.  I am also still harvesting and drying herbs and today was the turn of marjoram which is the wild cousin of oregano.  I use marjoram in cooking but it is also a key ingredient in a herbal sleep remedy.  I have a friend who needs that recipe so I hope this weather continues and it will dry quickly. 

I am having one of my 'fit to burst' days though as the piece that I wrote for Waverly Fitzgerald about the Isle of Eigg is about to be published.  This will being a whole new audience to my writing and I admit to being everso slightly anxious at the same time as needing to go pop.  My Positive News arrived today and in the centre page was a piece about native North American Indians written by a travel writer who is also a wonderful photographer.  Aaron Millar is a very interesting guy and he has an intriguing web site called the Blue Dot Perspective.  It is, however, much more than a website.  Aaron is trying to form a community of  'people who are hooked on exploring and won’t settle for anything less then an extraordinary life. '  Where do I sign?  You will know that I have already signed!  Such an interesting initiative and I think the ride will be a blast. 


The Bohemian movement is being formed as I write with girlfriends of a similar age all wanting to join.  We hope to come together to celebrate our bohemianism on a very regular basis and I have some plans swimming around in my mind.  You don't have to live on Arran to join our little group and you don't even have to be female!  We will be using technology to bring us together and share our bohemian adventures.  Message me if you want to join in!

Speaking of technology.  I found myself taking a small, but definite, stand against the use of facebook for silent bullying.  A case of silent bullying was brought to my attention and I felt compelled to do something.  Many of you reading this saw my stand on facebook and supported it and I am hugely grateful.  Shockingly, this was not a case involving teenagers who are just finding their way in life.  The bully is a grown up and a parent and should know better.  Although no names were posted when you read the status updates you are left wondering if it is you that is being ranted about.  Not nice, not kind and totally unnecessary and I am hoping it will now stop. 

On a much more pleasant note I do have six little dream pillows to give away for anyone out there who is struggling with sleep.  The first six to message me with their name and address will receive a little pressie from their postman in the coming days.  Sent 'with love from Arran'. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment