Monday 2 September 2013

Day 245 - a wild chick. xx

Monday 2nd September

I have a real weakness in life and that is the concept of a challenge.  If I see or hear the word challenge I am on it and will always feel disappointed if it turns out to something that I do not want or need to do.  I have signed up for a rewilding challenge for the month of September without really knowing what lay ahead.  All I knew was that it would last for 30 minutes each day for the 30 days.  I am clearly not alone because almost 3,000 other people have signed up and we are all underway.  I am already confused by what day I am on because the Australians are entering their data in a different time zone!  It might be the maths that is my downfall and that wouldn't come as much of a surprise. 

We have all been given our workbook to work through and I am resisting the temptation of reading ahead in case I scare myself.  We are all in a private facebook group and the level of activity is slightly unnerving.  Hats off to the Americans because they appear to be very enthusiastic and I am trying to hold up the flag for the Isle of Arran.  It is fair to say I am feeling a little swamped at the moment.  That said it is fascinating to see photographs from all around the world and also to be meeting people with a similar outlook.  Connecting with the natural world is vital to my personal survival and happiness and I am finding soul mates on every turn.  I am also seeing lots of photographs taken with important looking cameras but I am trying not to turn an unflattering shade of green. 


There are 50 plus things to locate in the wild over the term of the challenge and then day challenges to do along the way.  I feel that I need to confess to cheating!  I have recruited George and Max and split the list between us but it is only a small cheat as we are sticking together throughout the challenge.  I am, of course, relying on my very loyal Scottish island mum readers not to dob me in!  The small issue might be that some of my new wild friends have started reading this blog......

So I am on day 2 having spent day 1 thinking through my expectations for the challenge and where I am at the moment.  We are fortunate to have 10 acres to explore so that was our 30 minutes today as we set off in search of some of the things on the list.  There are obvious things on the list like berries but then there are less obvious things like a 'sit spot'.  Max led the way with a big stick to deal with any brambles or ferns that blocked our way and I followed.  George was behind me and offered a running commentary on the entire proceedings.  At one stage he saw a butterfly (which is on his list) and almost knocked me over as he ripped the camera out of my hand to get the shot.  I am sensing a little bit of Doubleday competition breaking out already.  We shall see how he copes when he comes across a 'happy hiker' because he has to say hello!


We have agreed that we are not posting rubbish photographs on the facebook page so although we have ticked off quite a few things we are still searching for better examples that will give us better photographs.  A little bit of vanity seems to be creeping in as well. 

None of that matters though because the essence of the challenge is quite simple.  With the exception of a camera we are to do without technology and get outside.  I am already doing my 30 minutes of exercise a day to keep up with a dear friend so I am starting to look at things in 30 minute slots.  When we arrived back from our wanderings we had actually been over an hour so I am thinking the magic associated with this challenge is already beginning to work. 

It does feel good to be connecting with people from all parts of the world and sharing the 30 days with them.  For me it is a useful exercise in seeing how others go about such a challenge as well as reading the book to understand the challenge as a whole.  Learning, by definition, has to reflect the learners and culturally things have changed so much.  The explosion in online learning is a reflection of that.  As a family we have all engaged in online learning one way or another but I am fascinated by the short, life enhancing courses.  This is not just because I offer a course in that area it is also as a student.  I think I make a better teacher because I am also a student. 


In these contexts we are using technology in imaginative and creative ways and that is something to celebrate.  One thing is for sure - if I take on a challenge I mean business so Scottish island mum will be rewilding herself for the next 28 days and keeping you guys up to date with our progress. 

Found today
  • mushroom
  • berries - 2 different types
  • blue/purple flower
  • butterfly
  • honey bee
  • moss
  • rotting dead wood
  • sit spot - we love this one and aim to find a different spot in every location we visit
  • 2 different types of grasses
  • a white flower
  • a sweet smelling flower
  • seeds - cow parsleyl and sunflowers

Not bad for day 2.  I have a feeling this is going to get a lot tougher.  I did see a small reference to camping but I closed the page quickly!

Until tomorrow.  xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment