Thursday 19 September 2013

Day 262 - skyward moments. Xx

Thursday 19th September

I have had a pair of Buzzards keep me company every morning while I drink my morning tea and reflect on the events of the day before and anticipate the day ahead. Their flight patterns have been quite captivating as they glide on the thermals and soar up high before turning to pursue a a different direction. These skyward patterns have become the metaphor for my week as it has been punctuated with skyward moments before travelling on to visit new destinations. It is in the skyward moments that I remain suspended and perhaps the ultimate experience of the week was a quiet moment in Hereford Cathedral.

Max and I always light a candle in memory of my father. My father never knew Max so it is our way of connecting the two souls and it is always such a peaceful and knowing moment. Yesterday we decided to light two candles; one for my father and one for my dear friend Paul who passed away quite recently. Max took up his candle for his grandad lighting it before placing in in the holder and stepping back to suspend the moment. Meanwhile I lit Paul's candle and went to place it in the holder but with no success. So I moved it along to the next holder but with still no success. If I had left it in that holder it would have fallen over so I moved to the next and so on. This little ritual went on for quite some time as Paul's candle refused to find a home.

Eventually a home was found and I stepped back smiling inside and out. One of the things I loved most about Paul is that he had an enormous capacity to think out of the box so I was not surprised that his candle took its own time to find a home. But once a holder had been found that the candle liked it shone the brightest of all the candles and I smiled even more. Good for Paul.

So my skyward moment in the cathedral was drenched in a sense of knowing another soul very well. Even when the soul has departed the connection and the knowing remains and that is such a comfort. Hereford cathedral was a delight and a very contented hour followed wandering and appreciating the stories around every corner. I have a passion for stained glass windows and the examples in this cathedral took my breath away. The building is to be recommended for a visit and I ended my time there in quiet contemplation.

There are signs that Hereford is rising from the ashes of the recession and that is so uplifting to see. New developments are underway and there is a real sense of anticipation. I love that the city has held onto its small independent shops and not completely sold out to the chain stores. Church street is to be recommended for a gentle stroll as it is packed full of lovely little shops. There was even one empty that would do me quite nicely......

Today we have two options to present to the children and, typically, I want to do both. The first is to visit part of the Forest of Dean where they have used willow trees to create tunnels and natural sculptures for an engaging walk. It is also where Merlin was filmed so the boys may well opt for this option. The second option is to visit the town of Ledbury which is awash with independent shops and a traditional print maker's studio to visit. It is also blessed with a natural Heath on the outskirts that boast some serious conker trees. You see the dilemma?

Just to confuse further this post might not be posted until tomorrow if I can't find any wifi. What will be will be.

Until tomorrow. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment