Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 159 - Truly touched by some very big hearts. xx

Saturday 8th June
Happy days in the sunshine eating cake and buying lots of plants.  Little Lottie's face sums up our day on Hazelbank.  The sun shone very brightly and it was a gorgeous way to spend an afternoon.  I admit to being a little jaded but it was so worth it. 

People started arriving quite early hoping to be at the front of the queue for the plants.  The recent sunshine has brought everything on so well and it all looked fabulous.  The borage sold out so quickly that I had to sell my baby borage that I only seeded a couple of weeks ago.  I have converted the islanders to borage!



Pete and I will have to do a proper count up to see just what did sell but I already know that it was the more unusual things.  I had planted strawberries in old dog food cans and people loved those.  The ready made planted pots were also very popular.  But, what was of greatest interest to me was that my cut flowers were really popular.  This is my instinct for the development of the business into next year.  I think people are more on message now and want cut flowers from local growers.  I did as promised and included some wild flowers in the posies and it was noticed!  I am quite sure I am onto something here and I shall be able to really push this next season.  My perennial cut flower plants will be giving blooms next year as well as the annuals.  I think if I am going to sell potted plants they will be unusual herbs and wildflowers.  A bit of a plan taking shape. 

We raised some good funds from donations for tea and cake for the Butterfly Tree charity and I will let you all know how much after tomorrow.  We do it all again tomorrow but something tells me that today will be the busier of the two days - we shall see.  We also had people donating prizes for future raffles.  We have a lot of events over the summer so this little island will just keep on giving. 

The beauty of the human spirit never ceases to amaze me and I feel very blessed to have spent the afternoon with such lovely people.  The sunshine has lifted us all and it felt very good to be on Arran today.  I am so glad we opened up our charity work to people beyond our own family this year because there have been so many people willing to help.  They want to help.  They understand the dialogue that says, on one hand, 'every 40 seconds a child dies from malaria' and, on the other hand, where nets are distributed there are no new cases.  The equation couldn't be simpler and we get it. 

There are lots of ways you can help if you don't live on the island.  We have people running their own events, people making butterflies and people donating raffle prizes.  The easiest way to help is through my nice blue button in the sidebar of the blog.  Just £5.00 pays  for one mosquito net which saves several lives.  If you want to help in any other way just email and we can chat.  Also, can I remind those of you running events that I can help with these too.  I can, at the very least, send some tulle butterflies to sell.  They only cost £1.00 each and are truly beautiful. 



One of my highlights was watching Pete making a raised bed with Angus who is only 7.  He was really pleased with his new garden!  Angus has become my personal hero.  He brought 10 salvias to the sale and donated half his profits to the charity.  He has also made a raggy butterfly for a raffle prize.  It is the children that make this world go round and you would have to go along way to find one with as big a heart as Angus.  A very special boy.

So, so much that is good and positive about today.  Can I just thank everyone you helped make today the success it was.  Us Doubledays are really grateful. 

I do hope you have all had a lovely day and that this gorgeous weather lasts the rest of the weekend. 

Until tomorrow.   xx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Doubleday family - we had a lovely time at Hazelbank, thank you for having us. Angus and Lottie had a fabulous time!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun wasn't it? Lovely way to spend an afternoon. Thanks for everything. Xxx

      Delete