Saturday 7 September 2013

Day 250 - She didn't think it was any good.....xx

Saturday 7th September

Late last night another piece of writing popped into my inbox for my new site One soul many hearts.  It came with a message saying that she was sure it wasn't good enough for the site but if I had time could I read through it and let her know what I thought. 

Now, I know this girl and I also know what she is capable of.  I know her as an ex-student back in my other life as an academic.  I settled down to read it and from the very first sentence my mind knew this was something very special indeed.  When I had finished I began to breathe again and I stared at the last sentence.  It was almost too much to take in in one hit.  Without doubt it was one of the most powerful pieces of writing I had ever read and it took quite a while to settle with me.  Then I re-read the email from the author who did not think it 'good enough' and, in that moment, I knew exactly why One soul many hearts is important.  It is allowing great writing to be shared from people who might not ever consider writing let alone sharing.  Authentic writing from the heart is not easy and can be very testing but also very necessary.  If One soul many hearts can empower people to write then I am happy and I will consider it 'job done.'



Today did not start well and my body had forgotten how to move but it got there eventually.  The end of growing season jobs continue and they do seem endless.  I am hoping that lots of you have kept me company this year and grown herbs.  Now is the time to start cutting back longer stems to allow for them to over-winter more easily.  When cutting back culinary herbs you can then tie these little bundles to make your own bouquet garni.  Hang the bundles upside down out of direct sunlight.  I have thyme, rosemary and oregano in my bundles from today and I have also bundled up some sage to dry for smudge sticks.  Smudge sticks are used by the North American Indians to cleanse their spaces and I have used them for years.  Space somehow feels different when you have burnt a smudge stick and I like to do it at a turn of a season.  Pete is adding to the wood store and chopping bundles of kindling so we shall have a fire tonight.  The temperature has dropped like a stone and it is a bit of a shock.  There is a real chill in the island breezes. 

I noticed that my hazel nuts and sloes are coming along nicely but my blackberries look slightly shocked by the drop in temperatures.  I was relying on a bumper year this year but we shall have to wait and see.  It is time to get on with candle making for both home and business so the house will soon be full of wonderful scents.  My first Christmas sale might be in November but I am thinking that is not as far away as I would like it to be.  Christmas preparations should have been underway at the beginning of the month so I fear this is going to become a battle between writing and crafts.  I might have to re-think 2014 if this coming season proves too much.  We shall have to see how good I am at splitting myself in two. 

I am off outside to do my rewilding challenge which is wildlife spotting.  I am going for a gentle wander down to the beach to see what I can see.  Fingers crossed for Oyster Catchers because they are my soulmates.  I love it when they get cross and squeak very loudly.  I can do that too.

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment