Friday 13 September 2013

Day 256 - a strong sense of friendship. xx


Friday 13th September

Scottish island mum knows how to stir up trouble for herself.  Ever since the post last Sunday about belonging to the storm I have been drawn into almost endless conversations  about the issue of belonging.  The debates have come in all shapes and sizes and all echo feelings of struggling to belong.  They are, however, all completely unique and personal and I feel humbled that people felt moved to contact me with their stories.  It is not an easy topic and I respect everyone's journey and hope that any comments I have made have been helpful. 

Regular readers will know about my fascination with island living and the Scottish isles in particular.  They will also know about my writing retreat on the isle of Lewis next May.  I hear recently that the facilitators of this retreat are planning a move themselves and I was naturally curious.  They moved to Lewis in 2010 and took crofting into their souls while establishing a thriving publishing business.  The time has come for a move or as Sharon puts it a shedding of skin.  They are Ireland bound this time and I do wish them well.  Sharon's recent blog post unravels the reasons behind the move and makes very interesting reading. 

My discussions on belonging have focused on people and place but Sharon adds an additional element.  She sees culture as an important aspect of belonging and is craving her Irish roots with all its wonderfully rich cultural expression.  I think there is merit in this argument and I need to ponder further.  I was brought up in England but both my parents had scottish births and upbringings.  Technically I am Scottish but I must admit to feeling slightly torn on the issues of my nationality.  I put British when asked to record it and that feels about right.  I need to think through the cultural context for my own issues on belonging and see where it takes me. 

Not wishing to jinx anything but just to signal that there is some interest in my writings about island living and a body of work may well develop as a result.  Using 'threads that bind' as a metaphor I am hopeful of finding a home for this work as it unfolds.  Early days so I am saying no more! 

Meantime I can tell you that people make belonging a reality for me.  Beyond my family I am blessed with a ridiculously large number good friends that I work very hard to maintain as they are all so special.  Within that group I obviously have a few that are really close and we 'speak' most days.  I always consider them my other family as we have stumbled across each other over the years.  This week has not been my best week and most of it disappeared in a free fall of strong painkillers and fitful sleep.  I can not get away with anything though and these close friends have been on me to explain why I am so quiet.  Sometimes there isn't much to say.  But I do feel a strong sense of belonging to these people and I am incredibly grateful for their continued support and friendship.  For me that is belonging as it needs to be. 

Many of you will know all about my friendship with the lovely Di and how it has been rekindled after years of absence.  Back in the day no one shone as brightly as Di and I always felt blessed to count her as a friend.  Since the rekindling of the friendship we speak all the time and share so much of our lives that I feel she is right by my side.  A while back Di wrote her interpretation of the time we rediscovered just how much we mean to each other.  Di is joining me on one soul many hearts with her own column - a side order of purple and I could not be more pleased.  This feels like the beginning of a new and very exciting chapter and I sense our journey together could be life changing.  Her piece which she titled 'The Mamma Mia Moment' is written in our own very unique and accessible writing voice.  You will get it, I am sure.  Off on holiday tomorrow but blogging with continue as normal.  In light of touching on the issue of friendship I would like to send love and blessing to the family and friends of a Fiona McGovern who has tragically lost her fight with cancer.  May her soul rest a while among the flowers as the world mourns the passing of an angelic spirit. 


 
 
 
 
It came to mind the other day as a  Mamma Mia Moment perhaps its sign of being a certain age, picking up the threads of something back in the day
Perhaps, above all, it is about re-locating the elements of ourselves that made us fundamentally  us, way back before we became lost in being a parent, or striving to make our work, well, work. Re-discovering our identities as individuals rather than as family makers
For many reasons, paths no longer cross. Time goes on and those pathways was they were become over-grown where other ( necessary) priorities take hold: work, children, new relationships Then the awkwardness how do you re-establish communication when youve been away so long? Circumstances seemed awkward, having needed to cut away from a previous life and forge a new one
Sticking your head above the parapet and waving a tentative hi is not to be taken lightly after so many years of radio-silence. Especially when, sadly, there are other instances where the frequencies have stayed closed
Then 2 chance opportunities in the space of a few months both born of hardship and crisis for others.
A door opens the squeal, the hug, the Oh My GOD !”… and all those years fall away. So much that hasnt been said to catch up on what happened back in the day what about tales of the kids plans. As if the years were just days! And as ever, so much that we didnt get quite get on to..
 
Coffee, cake and shopping we used to do this all the time. But then it was Mothercare and ELC, now its Paperchase and Cath Kidson. See, we have reached a certain age!
Once so close, on the same wave length and refreshingly just the same.
Time and distance all linked so easily now in our virtual age.
The threads have been re-connected.
How fabulous
 
And, cue music……..




 

 

Until tomorrow.  Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment