Tuesday 10 September 2013

Day 253 - Seeping into our souls. xx


Tuesday 10th September

A spellbinding hour is capable of speaking to your soul.  In that short hour you can, quite easily, get a little lost but always in the knowledge that you can find your way back.  Yesterdays rewilding challenge was a time with the stars and we were fortunate to have a clear night.  Armed with warm blankets off we went to look at the stars.  It takes about 20 minutes to adjust your eyes but is so worth the wait.  The clouds that you think you see at the beginning are actually millions of stars all clustered together.  It is a new way of seeing and a complete delight.  As your eyes adjust your peripheral vision will pick up the shooting stars and this provides the drama.  They are occurring all the time and, although we know the less intriguing reality of what we are seeing, we are spellbound by our stars streaming across the night sky. 

As the relationship with the stars gathered pace the constellations came into view as did the planet Venus and in that moment you realise how small you really are.  The brilliance of a single star is enough to park your ego at the door as you step outside to marvel.  In the still night the sky lit up with a billion fairy lights and all we could do was watch with wonder.  That is a spellbinding hour and it is to be recommended. 
 

Dodging home school with Pete and the dreaded maths I took off with my basket to harvest from the hedgerows.  The rewilding challenge today was to pay close attention to edibles so I very much felt I was on task.  I have drafted a whole article on hedgerow harvesting for my new site One soul manyhearts to launch the Mindfulness Gardening page so I won’t give too much away today.  Suffice to say that it was a productive hour or so and as I am going on holiday on Saturday I concentrated on things I can dry while I am away.  The jams, jellies, cordials and syrups will have to wait until I return. 

You will, perhaps, notice that my 30 minutes a day rewilding seems to have been somewhat extended.  I posted that finding on our private facebook group and it drew lots of confirmations.  It would seem that people all over the world that are engaged with this 30 minute challenge for 30 days are experiencing the same as me.  About a third of the way through and we are already finding that 30 minutes just doesn’t do it for us anymore.  The need to be outdoors is seeping into our souls and we are starting to crave it.  This is the magic of the project and I am so incredibly impressed.  Each challenge is prefaced with well researched and captivating information that feeds our brains and makes us ‘need’ to get outside and discover for ourselves.  It is a genius project and perhaps one of the best things I have ever done. 

What is interesting is that it is not limited to fair weather.  The need to be outside and interacting with nature is so compelling that the weather ceases to make a difference.  I have been out in all weathers in the past 10 days and it has not played the part it normally plays.  In the past if it was raining and/or cold I would be reluctant to head out but now it doesn’t even get a passing thought.  On go the wellies and the raincoat and off I go to get lost with nature for a while.  I am learning that it is often in the detail where the delights truly lie.  Big natural statements will always catch our eye but I am finding that I am searching out small detail like the tiny mushrooms clustered around a tree stump and appreciating the beauty they offer us.  Quite suddenly you find that the natural world is encircling you and drawing you in to its world and you can’t help feel that you would like to stay.  I am finding it harder and harder to go indoors again but perhaps that will be easier once autumn turns to winter.  That said, winter is my favourite season as I was a winter baby.  I feel the natural association with the season and an early morning winter frost is one of my favourite experiences in the year.  Those that know me well know that I am obsessed with spider’s webs that have been given the frost treatment.  We studied spider’s webs in home school a few years back and I became everso slightly obsessed and this obsessions remains.  While the world is sleeping I am often found to be out and about with my camera in search of the most dramatic frosted spider’s web of all time! 
 

I do not have a good history with spiders as I am scared of them and, in particularly, the way they move.  But last night, without thinking, I removed one from my bedroom.  Placing it carefully outside I was closing the door before I realised what I had done.  A little jumping up and down and squealing later I was left wondering what all the fuss was about.  Am I ready to tackle the ones that have those big chunky bodies and extraordinary long legs?  I don’t think so.  That is what men were invented for.  We can’t kill anything in our family with a conservationist in our midst so I have raised three boys so that they can remove spiders for me.  Haven’t I done well? 

It is Tuesday and the weekend seems a bit distant but I am wondering whether some of you reading this might venture out to visit your local hedgerows (away from polluted roads) and just pick the odd thing.  It will be worth it.  Trust me!  You can not go wrong with the Collins book Food for Free as a guide but I would always advise never to harvest mushrooms unless you have been on a course and know what you are doing.  If I say sloes and gin that might just do the trick!

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment