Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 255 - I am relegated to the back. xx

Thursday 12th September

It has started raining and I am quite sure it will never stop.  I do hope this is not the weather for Hereford this weekend because we are off on holiday.  I never expect that we shall all make it to the family holiday as Molly and Harry are adults now and have their own lives to live.  So, of course, I am always delighted when we can all make it and spend a whole week together. 

The joy about them all being older now is that they can do their own packing.  I am not sure that all 6 of us and our luggage is going to fit in one car but this has to be the last time for this as Molly and Harry are both learning to drive.  I think two cars might be the order of the day in future.  As I am officially the shortest in the family now I have to sit right at the back surrounded by luggage.  I have quite decided that the picnic will be back there as well!


We are staying in a cottage near Ross-on-Wye and the Forest of Dean so we need a fairly dry week to make the most of the area.  With three boys in the family and a fearless daughter there are lots of adventures planned where they fling themselves off great heights or ride at speed down steep hills. I am hoping these adventures are punctuated with tea shops and galleries but we shall see.  I will, at least, have time to walk in the forest while they are on their adventures and I hope to take some lovely pictures. 

I am desperately trying to tie up loose ends before we go but I am thinking some projects will just have to left hanging for a week or so.  This has not been a great week for me so I have accepted that moving at a slower pace is the order of the day.  Sometimes the pain moves into my hands and then life becomes a bit of a struggle and I get a bit cross.  I have a new embroidery to take away with me so I am hoping for a recovery so that I can sew. 


My rewilding challenge continues and we have been looking at eco-villages.  In Scotland we have several but the most famous one is Findhorn on the north coast.  It was and remains ahead of its time and attracts visitors from all over the world.  As a community, Findhorn offers a different approach to living based on communal and spiritual practices.  Living as sustainably as possible, the community run courses to teach others how to live with the lightest of touches on the planet.  It has long been an ambition of mine to visit the community but it gets away from me each year as other things take over.  This year my visit to the Isle of Eigg seemed more important and I think that was the right decision.  I gained so much from that visit and the interest in the writing about my experiences as a result of the visit continues.  The Isle of Lewis is next on the agenda as I am off on a writing retreat next May and I am excited to see where that takes me.  Ultimately, my fascination with islands will probably come to define much of my writing as I believe that every island is completely unique and it is that uniqueness that I want to uncover and write about.  I am currently looking at the possibility of squeezing in a short trip to Mull before spring 2014.  I believe islands have stories that captivate the world so it is an exciting prospect. 


I have had some discussions about my experiences in living with the seasons with a number of interested parties.  I want to 'park' some of my seasonal activities in new places next year as the format of Scottish island mum will be changing. The changes will no longer necessarily support extended consideration of seasonal activities so I may well contribute these musings to other sites readily available to us all.  It is early days in the discussions so we shall see.  Living in and with the season is such an important aspect of learning to live in the moment that I am keen to continue developing this body of work.

Work continues on the launch of One soul many hearts and I think we might just make it.  I have lots of help and I think this sets the tone for the site as it moves forward.  The site is based on a sharing concept that should underpin all that we do.  I am still looking for people willing to offer up book reviews and also people to share their insights into 'small corners of the world' that they might have visited.  Do get in touch if you would like to share anything. 

I am off to find suitcases and tackle an ironing pile.  I may be sometime....

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment