Sunday 8 September 2013

Day 251 - I don't always belong. xx

Sunday 8th September


I am just going to call this 'belonging to the storm' and see where it takes me.

Yesterday I was on the beach when I took this picture.  I get so drawn into looking for the shot that I don't always see.  It never occurred to me that that big angry cloud was coming my way and would, likely, drop its blackness on top of me.  Within minutes it did just that.  This is the point when I would realise what was going on and head up the hill to my house cursing all the way.  This day was different because I was in the middle of my rewilding challenge and a challenge is a challenge.  I was supposed to be spotting wildlife but the storm had halted that in its tracks as every sensible being had taken shelter.  I was not a sensible being as I just stood there and let the storm speak to me.  In that moment I felt more at home than I have felt in sometime.  I could see, feel, hear and taste the storm that completely dominated the land.  I was tiny in the middle of that storm but I was deeply connected to the spirit that had taken hold of our small island.

This was our first autumnal storm on the island and very much a warning of what will, most definitely, come.  It is signalling a change in the season and a reminder of just how exposed the island is to storms that rage causing islanders to take shelter and wait.  It is in the waiting for the storm to pass that I often find myself by the fire sewing and listening to the storming sounds that fill the air. 

Standing in the storm captivated my soul and connected me to the spirit of the sea as waves crashed to the shore. I don't always feel like I belong.  To the outside world I look like I belong and, mostly, I do.  I belong to a family that loves me and watches over me.  Sometimes I don't belong though and my mind fills with a single image.  I am adrift in a stormy sea on a tiny boat and the rain is pelting me but I don't move.  I sit completely still in the middle of the storm.  The storm passes and the image fades and I am once again belonging.  I have carried this feeling with me since I was a small child and I have always been troubled by it. Yesterday I was caught in the middle of a storm but I did not find myself waiting for it to pass.  I found myself belonging to the storm and at peace. 
 
Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment