Monday 29 April 2013

Day 119 - chocolate brown cows with lots of cuddles.

Monday 29th April

Today has been one of those days when you just do as you are told.  I don't often do as I am told but there are some days I feel I have no choice.  I had planned to start our Butterfly Tree journal in school with the boys today but nudges from somewhere else made it even more important.  Maybe these nudges are just my thinking starting to join up again and maybe they are something else entirely?  No matter, journaling was very firmly on the agenda. 


I have journaled all my adult life and a few years ago I wrote an article about my journaling story and offered up some tips.  I have found that article and put it on my personal blog in case any of you are interested.  For me journaling is a part of each and every day.  I am essentially using this blog as my journal of 2013 but I still keep a hard copy journal.  I have kept all my journals going back years and sometimes I look back and see myself emerging and changing.  I am always surprised with these re-reading and it is amazing just how much I forget through the years - woman of a certain age and all that. 

My journals are not just about writing but they are also about illustrating.  From simple line drawings to watercolour painting to keen photography - they all have a place in my journals.  I often test out new creative techniques in my journal.  Above all my journals are where my life makes the best sense.  Journaling makes me find a quiet space and reflect before committing anything to paper and I think that is a good thing.  Our lives are always so full so taking some minutes out to reflect help us to sort things out.  Sometimes I need a lot of sorting out! 

At the start of the Butterfly Tree project we had decided that we wanted to journal together so George, Max and myself have been busy most of the day doing just that.  We each had a page to fill based on our little tea party.  George wanted to focus on his cake making efforts and Max wanted to record the amazing thing that was our raffle!  The boys are very experienced journal makers so after a brief introduction we began to plan our pages.  We agreed that each page should tell its own story and that it should be a complete piece of art.  It will be for the reader to find the through line that we are confident is there already.  I worked on the page that sums up the entire event.  We rarely do the title page first as ideas devlop as pages are made.  We often wait to the end to do the title page. 

The nudges towards journaling were evident last evening while watching Country File.  They featured my beloved borage yet again.  Do we think the world at large is starting to get the message that we should all be growing borage?  I was only half watching until I heard the word borage and then was completely tuned in.  The presenter was collecting herbs to make paper with.  The paper maker was a real artisan and I was very impressed especially as my efforts never turn out like his did.  I have made handmade paper before and I think I have even used borage in my efforts.  There began a quick facebook open conversation with two friends after which we agreed that papermaking at Hazelbank is a 'must' do in the summer. 

You can buy kits but to be honest they are expensive and I can point you towards a DIY method for making the frames that you need to make the paper.  Reminding myself of the process I did a quick search on the Internet and up came this glorious site.  At this point I became fascinated with the work of this fabulous lady from Norway.  Regular readers will know about my slight obsession of simplifying my life so on reading this site I immediately took the pledge and, if you scroll down, you will see my nice orange badge to prove it.  I do believe that, on lots of levels, our lives are too cluttered and this site will help me to further my decluttering journey.  Sometimes you just read something that someone else has written and know that a shared bottle of wine and a chat would be bliss.  This was one of those moments for me.  I probably don't need to ask you to watch this space as you know me too well and can probably sense I am already up to something!

So, from the borage paper to journaling with the boys with an early morning session with tea in bed drafting my meditation through writing course that begins in June.  I am thrilled that my face-to-face course at Hazelbank is already full and I have a growing group of online takers.  Journaling will play a large part in this course as we travel a pathway that plays with the relationship between meditation and writing.  I have talked about my journey with Morning Pages before with the wonderful Julie Cameron.  Her inspirational work got me into writing daily and that was such a good thing to do as an emerging writer but I have since drawn inspiration from lots of different places and that will support my teachings on the course. 

I also keep detailed art journals but I am not so good at keeping them up to date.  In fact, I am known to get a bit cross with myself over this issue.  I would be a much better artist if I spent the time on my journals.  I do love looking at other people's art journals as they tell such charming stories.  I even have a Pinterest Board dedicated to them. 

The boys have finished their page but, typically, I have not.  I so know how to let the side down.  The hope is that the journal will be available at the final event 'The Buttefly Supper' in September so that guests can see the journey of our campaign and some of the highlights.  I had a lovely email from the founder of the charity, Jane, this morning once more thanking us all for what we are doing and saying how moved she was by my blog post about the little tea party.  There is absolutely no need for thanks as we see this as a fundamental part of the children's education.  We have always got involved in charity projects where we feel we can make a contribution so it is for us to thank her. 
I have not made it out to the tunnel as we got rather lost in our journaling but tomorrow is another day.  I have managed to move forward my plans for One soul, many hearts and will have some very exciting projects lined up to help launch the site.  You just know I am saying no more...

As I finish this blog I glanced at the sea which is now a very deep blue which is a ethereal contrast with the very light blue of the sky.  In the centre of my view is the church spire and each side is framed by trees.  How lucky am I?  Despite the sunshine it is a tad chilly on the island as spring refuses to be sprung.  At this rate we will jump right into summer.  We are, of course, hoping for a better summer than last year.  I am still waiting to do my direct sowing but my patience is running out so it is happening this week.  You may remember my little story about the rocket seeds that I sowed in a large pot in the tunnel in February.  My approach was one of 'sink or swim' and I am delighted to report the little darlings decided to swim and we are now eating our first rocket of the season.  I am a firm believer that if someone else can do something I must be able to so my strategy is clear for my little seeds going in the cold ground this week.  All they need do is follow the excellent example set by the rocket seeds.  Tis easy. 

I was just distracted watching a tractor charging down the hill.  Me thinks the driver thinks he is on a ski slope.  It does mean that the field opposite our smallholding is almost ready and that means the darling baby cows (I know they are called calves) will be with us soon.  The last two years they have been chocolate brown and have made me think of hot chocolate everytime I looked at them.  This is their first destination away from mum so they cry for the first few days and we spend all our time stroking and comforting them.  There are much worse ways to spend your day.

Until tomorrow. xx













2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the Simple Living Pledge, Fiona! Your blog is lovely and I'd love to keep in touch with you as it seems that we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking time to read my blog. I am sure we shall chat some more soon. xx

    ReplyDelete