Sunday 22 September 2013

Day 265 - a solitary bee for company. xx

Sunday 22nd September

It has been the most glorious autumn day on the island and the sun has shone for the entire time.  The honey bees are swarming my cosmos and verbena for last drops of summer while a solitary bee kept me company in the tunnel.  To come home to find sweet peas still flowering was a delight and tomatoes managing to ripen in this late sunshine.  We are lucky. 

First day back is always busy with lots of little jobs outside but my mother has done a great job keeping it all going.  I harvested blackberries quicker than my naughty dog could eat them so it will be apple and blackberry crumble for tea.  Our holiday home in Hereford was awash with fruiting trees with much of the fruit going to waste.  So we have brought some apples home as we do hate waste.  Herefordshire is a fruit growing county and I think almost every garden had at least one apple tree.  Good for them. 


The absence of Wifi did result in a lovely holiday but I do have a fair bit of writing sitting in a metaphoric pile looking right at me.  I also had more emails in my inbox than is sensible and I spent most of last night working through them.  I have not finished yet so if you are waiting for a reply from me I will get to you, I promise.  Absently going through my emails while half watching the telly I almost missed one that got me jumping.  When I began this blog one of the main purposes was to get into the discipline of writing every day.  I had been writing for a few years but it was always a bit sporadic and, thus, I failed to move forward.  If I had any ambition left in me it was to one day be able to call myself a writer.  Lurking in an email was a writing commission that will allow me to do just that.  A regular writing job that I was immediately drawn to has presented itself and I have already accepted it.  As Scottish island mum unfolded during the year my obvious passion for writing about growing through the seasons has grown and developed.  My blog has given me somewhere to park that body of knowledge.  Moving forward Scottish island mum will be changing and so I was keen to find somewhere to place this growing body of knowledge where it would be well received and appreciated.  I have now found that space.  I can't say anymore than that at the moment while details are thrashed out but I am completely thrilled. 

Over the next few days I will be doing posts that relate to my time in Herefordshire as blogging was so limited in that time.  I have taken some photographs that I do want to share as well.  Top of my list is a couple of posts that will relate to my time spent in forests and native English woods.  These were very special times and made all the better for having engaged in my rewilding challenge prior to the visits.  I am delighted to announce that the rewilding team are repeating the 30 day challenge in October so if you would like to join just click on the link.  I am in the final stages of my challenge and can safely say that it has changed the way I view myself.  Although I work outdoors I had lost touch with spending leisure time in the natural environments.  The rewilding challenge has convinced me of the importance of just being in the outdoors and I have loved every minute of it.  I will be offering a final piece at the end of the month which attempts to capture the spirit of the 30 days and my place within it. 

I am currently on the hunt for autumnal images for the launch of my new site One soul many hearts.  If you have any you would be willing to share please do get in touch.  Many thanks.  There is much to be done before October 11th but I am confident it will all be ready in time.  I said that very quietly.  I will leave you with some images from a lovely time spent in Herefordshire. 

Until tomorrow. xx
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment