Monday 16 September 2013

Day 259 - A glorious day. xx

Monday 16th September

I now find myself sitting in Ross on Wye library such is the glory of modern technology. The computer feels like it belongs to a different time zone but all is not lost because a rather sexy biker has just rocked up next to me!

I am loving this little corner of the world and this morning I walked the entire length of the Forest of Dean Sculpture Park which was 4.5 miles long. I also managed it on my own and without a stick so I am feeling pretty pleased with myself! This was my task while the rest of my family threw themselves off high wires with Go Ape. Unbeknown to me though Go Ape was closed for a training day and my family spent hours looking for me! Oh dear. I had indicated that I would do the shorter trail so when they couldn'f find me on it they were rather worried. When I had got to the end of the shorter trail I thought I could do the longer distance so just kept going. They were convinced I wouln't be on that trail. So, I surprised them and I think I surprised myself as well. It was a glorious walk through the shadows and shafts of light and the mix of native trees were such a delight to behold.

I know very little about the history of the forest so that is something to research tomorrow morning while my family have attempt number two at the flinging thing. The sulptures were a mix of successful and unsuccessful pieces but the large hanging of stained glass was one of the most impressive. I obviously can't show photos at the moment but plan to make a photographic journal of the walk to post when I am back home. For the most part I walked on my own with only the sounds of the forest for company. I am quite sure that is the way for me. I feel most connected when I am alone with Mother Nature. I am reading two books at the same time at the moment focusing on the issue of belonging and so far I disagree with both of the thesis established at the beginning of each book. I think they both miss the point, or at least how the point refers to me. For me belonging is a sense of a deep and sustained connection with the natural world and it is nothing more or less than that. The simplicity of my thesis does rather lay it open to criticism but I am not sure I care. There was a moment today when I heard a very faint knocking sound so I stood still. A few seconds of rustling later and the knocking sound was much closer. A woodpecker had grown as curious about me as I was about him. So I stood and he knocked and, in that moment, that deep connection took root and all was at peace in my world.

Eventually, I moved away in search of new experiences and soundscapes. There are several glades to visit and just sit for a while as the light dazzles you through the trees. A high viewing platform over a pond provided those silent moments as a willow branch drops its leaves in the water and makes the smallest of ripples. The forest floor was a mass of edibles and I quite expected to see a few squirrels but they must have been elsewhere. The trees here are just on the turn and I love the early autumn colours and the bright sunshine. I loved every step of the walk even when the signs took me off the trail and I couldn't find my way back. I just waited until a dog walker came along to direct me back.

Almost at the end of the walk I turned a corner to see Pete coming towards me with a very worried looking expression. I felt awful when he told me the story of his morning but I must admit nothing spoiled the joy of the experience or the sense of achievement it gave me. I shall visit the trail again one day just to see the bits that I am sure I missed.

We pottered around in Ross on Wye which is a delightful little town on a beautiful river and we really began to feel that we are on holiday. I love that feeling when the tension truly escapes from your shoulders. Coffee and cake in a gorgrous tea room and gallery and then off the find the library to blog. Harry has taken the family off to find a supermarket as he is cooking tonight. Excellent.

So, a good day for me at least and the rest of them will have their day tomorrow and I shall come back to the library to do some research on this area. With a bit of luck I shall manage a blog post tomorrow as well.

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment