Sunday 1 September 2013

Day 244 - A great man lost. xx

Sunday 1st September


A shock that David Frost has died and very sad.  I think he had the ability to ask the right question to the right person at the right time and therefore demanded respect the world over.  An intelligent and knowing man and, very much, a man of his time.  He will be greatly missed and my thoughts are with this his family and friends at this time. 



Today has been very focused and one dimensional.  Writing has been the order of the day as I pulled all my research into one place in order to write my next months module for the online course Meditation through Writing.  During the past month I have been fortunate to read lots of new writing and can clearly see the development.  This month we look to authenticity and this is not an easy concept to tackle.  It is, however, an essential part of the writer's voice so it can not be avoided.  I feel that the students will be challenged but I also believe that this is a necessary challenge to allow the voice to have the integrity that it will need moving forward.  I use every scrap of feedback to inform on the final draft of this course that will be offered from January 2015.  I have already decided to structure it slightly different but, so far,  feel the content is delivering the intention.  Bringing meditation and writing together was always going to be a challenge but I quietly confident that I have occupied the right space with the course. 

It always surprises me that I can write a 12/13 page document like that in a few hours but it is, of course, all in the research which takes weeks to do.  I have learnt to mull things over and let the document speak to me and that appears to be working. 

I was fit to pop this morning when I opened my inbox and found an email from someone very special.  I knew him back in my university days and in that time he was the best writer I knew.  He won't remember this but I failed my very first essay at university and he picked it apart and helped me put I back together again.  Unwittingly, he had started something and years later this was to be developed further when I became an academic and spent ten years working in the university sector.  Facebook allows us to keep in touch and yesterday a trip advisor review by him popped into my inbox.  Reading it I could still see what I had found so impressive all those years ago.  We also follow each other on Pinterest  and he has a favourite books board.  He got me reading classics when he presented me with a copy of War and Peace and he had written 'read me' inside it.  I still have the book to this day.  I did, indeed, read it and have read it several more times since.  Although I had read some classics I school there were so dissected that I had not enjoyed them.  Reading War  and Peace began my journey with the classics and now there are not many I haven't read.  All the books on his Pinterest site are books that I too have read and enjoyed. 

If you don't ask you don't get so I took to the email to ask whether he might consider writing some book reviews for One soul many hearts.  I need to confess that I didn't think he would say yes but I delighted to report that he did.  So my dear old friend, Dave, will add his pen to the site from time to time and, trust me, his reviews will make you want to read the book.  I am delighted and feel everso slightly blessed. 

I also have a regular contributor to add to the launch team so you will have to wait and see who that is.  I have also made the final selections for the pieces that will launch the site.  That was not an easy task as I value all the submissions so highly but decisions had to be made.  So progress continues but with lots more to do.  The swan is beginning to lose a few feathers now and that can only be stress.  She is, however, still paddling well. 

The weekend has, thus, disappeared and I have managed not to embarrass my daughter too much.  Pete is driving Scott and Molly back to Lincoln tomorrow.  Scott is due back at work and Molly needs to drop off her 'stuff' for university again.  Pete and Molly will then head home and we have less than two weeks before our annual family holiday.  I suddenly feel the need to paddle harder!

I do hope your week ahead is looking fine and that you have enjoyed your weekend.  I am leaving you with words from Mr Frost himself.....



Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment