Thursday 27 June 2013

Day 178 - The best bonkers hour of my life. xx

Thursday 27th June

I am late blogging today because I have just had the most bonkers hour of my entire life.  I might have had to wait 48 years for it but it was well worth the wait.  Bonkers doesn't really do the experience justice but it will have to do for now.  It is an hour that I can share with you and  I fully intend to do so.  There is such a funny story in it and I just know you will love it.  Sadly, I can't share it with you just yet as I am on a bit of a hush hush at the moment.  This is all a little odd as I am supposed to be writing a blog about what I do in the day and I can't write about it.  I am also not very good at keeping secrets as I am that small child that can't sleep Christmas eve and drives everyone mad.  If I was bursting to tell you yesterday imagine how bad today has been. 

The very second I know I can write about it I am locking myself away until it is down and then logging on like my life depends on it.  I was worried that if this little secret adventure I am right in the middle doesn't amount to anything I will have nothing to write about.  That has now all changed with my bonkers hour so, whatever happens, I have something to say and, trust me, you will like it. 

So, Scottish island mum is ever so slightly all over the place and very out of her comfort zone.  I am not on my island, not with my family, not with my plants and no where near my beloved studio.  I think I am more of a roaming Scottish island mum and I am going to try and make that work for a while.

What interests me about Portsmouth is that, technically, it is an island!  Don't you just love that?  It is only 10 square miles but has approximately 186,000 people living on this rather crowded island.  Arran is about 60 miles if you walk all the way round and has approximately 5,000 people on it. 

You might expect me to write about the contrast between the two islands but I might surprise you there.  Firstly, and importantly, I need to tell you that I adore Portsmouth.  On paper perhaps I shouldn't as I travelled hundreds of miles north to escape this sort of environment.  It is busy and almost definitely over populated.  I do struggle with the pollution sometimes but thankfully the strong sea breezes work their magic there.  So there are some aspects that I struggle with as they are such a contrast to my own experience on Arran.  But let me tell you that Portsmouth has real soul and a heart fit to burst.  The people are some of the friendliest people you will find anyway.  Some of the families living on this island have lived here for ever and you can tell.  Portsmouth people are often very proud of their island and the strong community that comes with it. 

Portsmouth is an interesting and engaging place with its own history and charming stories and in past visits we have unearthed some tales that speak of the strategic importance of the city.  Then there are the oddities.  You can be wandering along a very busy built up street and at the end it opens up to a view of the sea with sailing boats bobbing about.  The harbour is very busy all the time as far as I can tell.  A few years back I was at a small festival afternoon on Southsea common and laid down on the grass to enjoy some rays.  Then, quite suddenly, someone took my sun clean away.  It just vanished so I sat up to see what was happening in the world.  The biggest boat I had ever seen was tanking out of the harbour with so many levels to it that it should have sunk.  It was carrying lots and lots and lots of people to France and it, temporarily, blocked out the sun. 

A couple of years ago when I was here I stayed in a hotel on the front with a sea view.  It was the summer and I spent a completely memorable evening watching a kite event on the common as the sun set.  That evening will stay with me forever.  There are some lovely little places in the city that speak of quiet moments and I think the Cathedral is very special indeed. 

All this makes me think of my Creative Arran project which is nearing completion.  The purpose of this writing project is to connect me more deeply with favourite places on the island.  The writing exercises have all delivered what they promised and I have found creative inspiration from very different spaces.  I think I might be onto something here.  I would love to hear about some of your favourite places in the area you call home.  The creative Arran project and my recent visits to Portsmouth have convinced me that sometimes it is a good thing to take some time out of our busy lives and reconnect with our surroundings.  Do you have a place that evokes lovely memories of past moments?  Do you have places you like to go to be by yourself?  If you would like to share I would like to include it in my writings as we discover just why some places move us.  Just email your thoughts and we can take it from there.  You know I will ask for a picture!  On my travels out and about today with Donna's son Joshua I forgot to take my camera.  This girl must do better.  Sincere apologies. 


Bit by bit and conversation by conversation more and more of you are finding you have something to say.  More and more of you are moved to write that something down and are also willing to share.  I am currently working with lots of people as they write their pieces and we chat about small edits that will deliver greater impact or a more sensitive message.  I am finding this such a joy so if any of you want to work with me to have your say or speak about an important person or time in your life, do get in touch.  Somehow this little blog has moved on again and, as usual, I have no idea of how this latest momentum began.  I know I should be more in control but how much more fun is it doing it this way?  Between us we are giving new meaning to 'going with the flow.'

Scottish island mum has sprouted a new and very shiny pair of wings that are trying hard to include as many of you in this journey as possible.  All this means we are all going to be reading some fabulous pieces both here and on One soul, many hearts once it launches in October.  We are going to feel topped up to the brim with inspiration and positivity.  Lucky us. 

I should say another big thank you for the continuing messages of support for my lovely Donna.  We are gently working through things and I am sure you wouldn't want me to say anymore than that. 

Somebody said to me today 'watch this space' and I am passing that onto you.  No really, watch this space!

Blessings to you all.

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment