Tuesday 24 December 2013

Day 358 - It made me smile. xx

Tuesday 24th December

Christmas eve on the island is a lovely day.  There is none of that mad rushing about that is such a big feature of living on the mainland and everyone is all festive and cheerful.  I always leave a lot of my food shopping until today because I am a tight Scottish island mum and I know the Co-op reduces a lot of its stock on Christmas eve.  I also checked the weather forecast and could see that there were just about enough boats to keep the supermarket stocked but that most people would panic and buy that bit earlier this year.  I was right on both counts so Pete and I hovered up the bargains in a relatively quiet shop before having a lingering coffee at the Douglas. We also take the view that if something we want is not on the shelf we just grab something else.  I have tried my absolute best not to get swept up in the buying culture this year and will be trying even harder next year.  A dear friend sent me an email to wish me Happy Christmas and happy midwinter and it made me smile.  He obviously knows me very well. 


With everything now ready I am relaxing into my festivities with my family and just enjoying some time off.  There are no immediate deadlines to chase and I have cleared all my writing assignments just in time.  Molly is, of course, still revising but that is her way and who am I to comment!  I think I have found this Christmas particularly demanding because of my recent work with international charities.  When people have so little it is hard to see the spending culture that we have in this country. Over coffee, Pete and I talked about how our Christmas might change going forward as all our children are much older now.  We also talked about the significance of the winter solstice and how that might be reflected more in what we do. 

I have had lots of emails commenting on my idea for a little box of sunshine and I will be featuring that on the new Scottish island mum site sometime in the new year.  I have been struck by just how many friends are struggling this year and the hope is that these little boxes will just let them know that we care and that we are thinking of them. 

Your kind messages for Donna will also be appreciated when she is home.  I am hoping that she has made it into surgery this afternoon and will be home tomorrow.  Spending Christmas in hospital doesn't sound like  much fun and I am sure her family are desperate to get her home.   I feel for the children not being able to do their Christmas eve traditions with their mother. 

Our traditions are quite simple and much the same as most other families.  A few years back the children all decorated the base of a cardboard box and that is what is placed on their end of the sofa for Father Christmas to leave their parcels in.  Father Christmas has been a bit naughty this year and left all their presents in my bedroom to wrap.  This is a little lazy of him but I will forgive him if he returns this evening to put them all in the right places.  I am not blaming Rudolf though so he will still get his carrot.  I am still thinking about whether  Father Christmas should get his mince pie and nip of ginger wine.....

With one grown up daughter and three teenage boys in the house we don't have to worry about 6am calls in the morning.  We are lucky if we can get them out of bed much before 9am.  Pete and I have a cup of tea in bed in the morning and listen for the first movements from one of the bedrooms.  This year we shall Mimi for company and, yes, she does have her own presents to open.  I do worry about myself sometimes. 

My mother and Hamish will join us for lunch and then there is the famous falling asleep in front of the television in the afternoon.  I never fall asleep during the day but then I never normally eat lunch so you see the consequence.   Pete normally spoils me at Christmas but I specifically asked for that not to happen this year so he bought me a rewilding fitness programme instead.  January will be an interesting month with my plant based diet and my exercise programme based in the great outdoors.   It is a good job I won't be blogging because I sense some moaning for the duration. 


Certain things will happen tomorrow.  Molly will take charge of the TV remote, I will get tipsy on two glasses of wine, Pete will fail to get the cracker end of the cracker pull, Harry will get all the cracker ends and the best prizes, George will sleep the longest and Max will talk to his father constantly as Christmas lunch is being prepared.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Scottish island mum wishes each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas.  xx

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment