Monday 28 October 2013

Day 301 - Gingham reindeer & chimps that jig. xx

Monday 28th October

It can rain on this small island and it seems to have been raining for days.  With the rain comes the darkness and you know winter is on its way.  Lots of my friends and family struggle with the darkness but I like it.  It feels like a cocoon in which to escape for a few months.  I do some of my best thinking in the darkness of the winter months which is just as well as I have a lot of thinking to do this coming winter. 

My new site One soul many hearts has been so well received that contributions are starting to come in on a daily basis so I must work out a better system of dealing with them.  I can't resist opening the files to look at the photo or read the words and then all is abandoned why I am taken somewhere else by the inspirational offerings.  This needs to be resisted though because it is very distracting and my working day is very confused!  I am going to organise my time much better and make a time of the week to respond to all who contribute something in that week.  As the interest in the site grows so do my plans for where I might take it in the future and they need serious reigning in!  I could make this site a full time occupation in a heart beat but it will need to grow more slowly than that.  I am very close to announcing One soul many hearts very first 'Ambassador.'  This is a key role as it will ensure that the site is being promoted by a person who really understand what One soul many hearts is all about.  It requires at least a 12 month commitment and there will only ever be 3 ambassadors at any one time.  That allows the four of us to work closely in the best interest of the site.  In return for this commitment One soul many hearts will support the ambassador's projects.  Ideally the ambassador will already run their own business but also be involved in charitable projects as well.  I hope it will be a rewarding role and I very much look forward to announcing our first Ambassador soon.  


Our first newsletter may only just have gone out but Robyn and I are already working on the  next one.  Robyn has researched some lovely recipes and Christmas projects so the next newsletter promises to be a really good read.  I am a life long fan of the Country Living magazine but I was so disappointed by their new December issue as it is crammed full of adverts and little else.  I want One soul many hearts to make a response to that by doing the opposite and cramming our publication full of content that will delight and beg to be shared.  If you have a good recipe or project to share do get in touch.  Subscription to the newsletter is growing at a steady pace which is pleasing.  I am advised by my chimps that mail that the industry standard is less then 30% of people receiving a newsletter actually open it.  I have just been on my chimp site and they are all most excited to share a 100% open rate with a 45% click rate on the links supplied in the newsletter.  How chuffed are we?  I am currently teaching my chimps to jig. 

Scottish island mum has quite a lot on her plate as well and I seem to have started something with my West Highland Way walk project.  I have both real and spiritual walkers expressing interest and I do think this is going to be a project that we will all remember for some time.  I am ploughing through the various options for a charity to raise funds for and this is a slow process which can't be rushed.  It will take as long as it takes but I will know when I have found it; I always know. 


Beyond all that the day to day making for this year's Christmas collection continues and I am liking the homespun feel this year offers.  My boxes are getting quite full now and I certainly have enough for the first fair in the middle of November but there are two more fairs after that and the shop in the village to stock so lots more making to be done. 




I am also starting my creative planning for our 2014 range and I can feel a slight change in direction.  Less will most definitely have to be more if I am going to have enough time to work on developing our cut flower and willow business.  I am opening my books for small weddings from June 2014 and it would never do to disappoint a bride!  I am off to the flower market in Glasgow in the next couple of weeks to discuss options with them as I won't be in a position of providing 100% of the  flowers next season.  The aim is to provide as many of the primary and secondary blooms as possible but all the herbs and greenery.  The plan is to increase yield every year as demand strengthens.  The only courses I will run next year are bespoke courses on request so that should free up some time. 

The boys are busy with Halloween work books that has become a family tradition with prizes given out at our family Halloween evening on Thursday.  Molly's Halloween box is on its way to Lincoln but, as usual, we shall miss her.  I am away most of next week down south for Paul's memorial and then to London to meet Molly to celebrate her 21st birthday. 

George has planned his cakes as he is making  cakes for the primary children in the village for their Halloween party on Friday and tomorrow he is making his first chicken and mushroom pie from scratch.  So the house is full of activity - just the way I like it.

Until tomorrow.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment