Friday 25 October 2013

Day 298 - Reindeer, ribbons and special people. xx

Friday 25th October

I do like a good Friday and although not much has been achieved I have had a lovely day.  I had a flower order to start the day and I am sure that is my personal calling. I should start every day creating with flowers.  If I could work with flowers in the morning, write in the afternoon and sew in the evening I think I would have found my perfect day. 


When you work with flowers you are acutely aware of the seasons as colours change as you pass through the year.  We are beginning to move away from the bright oranges and into the deep reds contrasted with ivory that beckons the beginning of winter flowers and foliage.  Although the order was for a tea cup arrangement it still takes quite a bit of time.  I find that the smaller arrangements often take longer than the larger.  The attention to detail is enhanced as you know the eye is settling on a smaller area.  It is also fiddly work but I am quite sure the tea cup arrangement will remain my signature piece for the rest of time.  Knowing  I was meeting a relatively new friend later in the day meant that I took the opportunity to create one for her as well. 

While I was working away I was listening to the growing excitement coming from the next room as the boys are working with Pete on electricity and travelling sound.  Lots of little experiments and lots of fun was being had and you just know that lots of learning was happening too.  There is a tendency in school to make the children record everything they do in science and I think that sometimes takes the joy out of science.  In our home school science is where the magic happens and it is a voyage of discovery.  I wish I had been taught science by Pete because he makes it come alive and the whole experience is memorable. 


This afternoon it was a girly social at the Douglas hotel in Brodick so that the gang would meet Kathy.  They all know her from a shared group on facebook so it was lovely to meet up face-to-face.  There were some creative women round that table so lots of ideas were flying around.  It is important to have time to bounce ideas around and swap notes so it was a really lovely afternoon and Kathy is fully fledged into our little group. 

Inspired by my flower work this morning I have started to plan my Christmas flower arrangements for our home.  Christmas is a big deal in our family and the Christmas table is a joy to work on and always makes the centre of our day.   Reindeer is our Christmas theme this year and we are going to attempt to make our own reindeers using wire.  I am thinking that one of them could take centre stage on the table and be surrounded by the floral wreath made with holly, rosemary, berries and deep red roses.  I could then continue those choices in all the arrangements in the house.  I always have plenty of flowers at this time of year because I am busy with orders.  I found a new holly bush up the track that runs alongside the smallholding so I have plenty of scope this year.  I always do a Christmas floral swag around the fireplace and I used to do one on the bannister on the stairs but have been a bit lazy the last couple of years.  I am ahead this year having dried so much from the hedgerows so there is really no excuse. 

Many thanks for all you lovely emails about your favourites bits from Scottish island mum thus far this year.  It would seem that my visit to the Isle of Eigg was favourite with a lot of you so my instincts were right.  Beyond that some of the creative projects that I have been involved with were very popular too as well as my work with the butterfly tree.  It has provided me with great feedback ahead of the restructuring of the site and I am hugely grateful.  Still lots of time to share your view if you haven't had time yet.  Just drop me an email anytime. 

I am off to find my sketch book to design my Christmas flowers while I am inspired.  I can't remember where my sketch book is and my house has not officially disappeared under Christmas ribbons, buttons and fabric so I may be sometime......

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment