Wednesday 24 July 2013

Day 205 - I blame Kirsty Allsopp. xx

Wednesday 24th July

The sun has returned but this time with a wonderful sea breeze and is just perfect.  A girl who is about to leave the island for a week should be busy making lovely things for her two large events in August and doing her washing.  This girl did neither today and I blame Kirsty Allsopp.  Last evening I watched the first in her new series about furnishing your home from other people's junk and that was that.  As soon as the programme had ended I am into the studio in the house and taking it apart.  I have been meaning to do that for weeks because I have my new studio now but did I need to do it last night?  Of course I did because under my stacked wooden fruit boxes was a bookcase that I wanted to turn into a bench for the sitting room. 

Pete completely despairs at me when I am taken over by an idea because there is absolutely no stopping me.  I unearthed the bookcase that was to become a bench and created just what I wanted in the sitting room.  Then there was the tiny matter of the mess I left behind in the studio.  I went to bed.

So, this morning when I should have been putting finishing touches to my candles and ensuring everything is labelled I am actually sat in the middle of an almighty mess.  This does not phase me and three hours later I have created a small workspace that will do well in the winter when it is too cold to work in the studio.  I have also refashioned my wood fruit boxes to make a new book case and display area for my beach finds in the sitting room.  I was very pleased with my efforts.  Bit by bit we are on a mission to 'get rid' and so there was another dustbin bag full created and some more pieces for the local charity shop.  The next room is the kitchen and I have some ideas brewing for that space.  I have an original 1950/60s kitchen cabinet that I inherited from my Grandparents and that will be the main feature of the room.  The rest is going to be done 'Kirsty style' so let the skip hunting begin.  I want to create an original vintage kitchen so we shall see if I have this in me.


This afternoon I still avoided what I should have been doing and went for an iced coffee and scone with my lovely Angie and her two children.  We went to the Glenisle in hotel which is not somewhere I have been very often.  I was really impressed and will go again.  We sat outside under huge umbrellas in the shape with a view to the Holy Isle.  After coffee we then took the children onto the grass to play ball and completely lost all sense of time.  Angie is my partner in crime at these two craft events and is no further on than me.  The difference is that she has an extra week while I am on Eigg but who is counting.  Sometimes, it is lovely just to step off for a while and lie in the grass and so that is precisely what we did.  I am 50 next year (horrors) so we began planning a girly weekend away and that was way more important than sticking labels on products.  I think we have our priorities right. 






It all went a little wrong when I then went into one of the shops that sells my products and saw just how low in stock they are.  There was the briefest of guilt feeling rising within but I squatted that away quickly.  It will all wait until I am back from Eigg when I will be so chilled that I won't care.  That is the plan anyway.

I have calculated that if I don't go and put some washing on I will have no clothes while on Eigg.  Shrinking your wardrobe down to less than 20 pieces is all well and good but you do have to keep up with the washing.  I may not be as clever as I think I am. 

Until a more focused tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment