Monday 15 July 2013

Day 196 - A stuffing sort of day. xx

Monday 15th July

I missed the birds this morning but me thinks they were extra quiet to let me sleep.  After a huge amount of sleep the wind was behind my sails again and off we went with another day. 

Home school is a creative place at the moment.  We are working on a writing assignment with the same starting points but enough scope to go in different directions.  Beginning with a central character that we have described and illustrated we are now extending the brief into other areas as preparation for story writing.  After a couple of sessions Max is already underway with his story and writing more freely than ever before.  He is enjoying the feeling of progress as he turns each and every page.  George remains in preparation stage which I am thinking is a good thing as his is a competition piece for the Scottish Book Trust.  He is adding colour and texture to his story through various preparatory methodologies and I am largely letting him run with it.  He spent quite some time today on a detailed map of the land where his characters live.  There is a very fine line between being helpful and interfering and I am sitting firmly on that line and watching carefully. 

George has the ability and the imagination to become a very fine writer if he chooses to.  It is always exciting when you spot talent in your children as it makes us realise that they have options in life.  Home education allows you the time and attention to recognise and nurture talent and I will always be grateful for that.  Molly and Harry have headed off in two completely different paths but they have both made excellent choices and followed their passions.  George is highly intelligent but also has a shed load of practical skills as well.  It will be interesting to see which direction he goes in when home school is complete. 


Once home school was finished for the day I got down to the business of creating products for my two big events coming up in August.  I so needed to focus so focus I did.  I had a lovely hour making a batch of lavender candles using soy wax and essential oils.  My best seller, the vintage tea cup candle, will take pride of place but it will sit nicely with glass jar candles and candles on vintage tea plates and in organza bags. 



While the wax set I moved onto stuffing!  I have a little elf helper known as my mother who machined the blanks for me to fill and finish.  A good hour of stuffing and machine sewing and I could see my pile getting larger all the time.  I am beginning to think that I will have a stall of lovely things after all.  If I get all these products finished by the end of today I can finally cut my elderflowers that stare at me through the window wondering if cordial is happening this year. 

I have had a text from Harry saying that he is on his way home.  He remembered to text daily from the festival so I have kept reasonably calm but it will be lovely to have him home.  That will be him back to work and study until the family holiday in September.  Harry works extremely hard and everyone that has worked with him has commented on his excellent work ethic.  I am so proud of that and I think this attitude will take him wherever he wants to go in life. 

Molly is also working extremely hard on her placement on the Isle of Eigg.  She has just over two weeks left and I will be with her for her final few days.  We are all fretting a bit about how I am going to manage the journey but Molly will be at the pier when I get to Eigg so I will be fine.  She tells me that it is the most beautiful of train journeys so that will help.  Thank you to all of you who have messaged me suggestions about how to manage my luggage.  The overwhelming feeling is that I should try a rucksack so that is the plan.  It can't be worse than the journey up from Portsmouth so I am hopeful this little expedition will be easier.  Fingers crossed. 


So, back to ribboning and labelling now while I wait from a hug from my number one son. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment