Wednesday 10 July 2013

Day 191 - Important to keep ahead of Molly. xx

Wednesday 10th July

Another absolutely glorious day on the island and there is so much that is wonderful it is difficult to know where to look.  Hazelbank is full of flowers, both wild and cultivated, and the flying insects are here in abundance.  I woke just at dawn with a distinct lack of birdsong so I wondered whether they had all decided to have a lie in.  Apparently not as my friend, who lives at the other end of the village, seemed to have them all at her house.  Did I miss a party?


It is not always easy to sleep when it was so warm but then again I do like to get up and start my day.  Nothing begins until tea has begun circulating through my veins and I have had a chance to think through the day.  Let us call today a flower day as I seem to have been busy with those all day.  It would appear that fellow islanders are enjoying being able to purchase locally grown and fragrant flowers so another two buckets were delivered to the local shop in the village.  The meadow is also very excited with the most precious wild orchid hiding in the grasses and finding that today was a real bliss moment.  I then couldn't re-find it with my camera so will try again tomorrow.  I need to identify which orchid it is as well. 

Growing flowers is just pure joy and seeing the honey bees working their little socks off is so rewarding.  I feel like I am doing my bit for the planet.  As always at this time of year I am struggling slightly with the workload that comes with running a horticultural smallholding.  I have gluts of strawberries to make into jam and elderflowers to harvest to make cordial.  This weekend has thus been set aside to get underway with at least one of those projects.  Elderflower cordial may win through as it is my favourite drink.  It always feels like you are drinking nature in so it becomes a 'must have'. 

All the new lavender stock are in the ground and the mints are just going in.  I love free plants and my mint cuttings from earlier in the season are already big enough plants to plant out.  Unless you want mint to take over you should contain it in a pot.  I have reserved an entire raised bed for it in the cutting garden as it is my favourite 'greenery' for my bouquets.  It can romp about as much as it likes. 

So, the tunnel is beginning to empty as more and more of it gets planted out.  Come September it will be time to start planting up pots with spring bulbs as we sell so many for Christmas presents.  The drying of herbs is also underway in time for the Christmas wreath making.  You get the picture that nothing ever stands still on Hazelbank. 

Important in the midst of this to walk the length of the beach to do the bird survey for Molly's dissertation.  I need to be a bit more positive about my gull species as there was a bit of dithering going on but don't tell Molly.  The oystercatchers were tricky to spot from the road but we located 5 this morning so quite a good turnout from them.  We have to survey from the road so as not to disturb the birds.  That said a lovely border collie stood in the water for ages while his master chatted on the road.  Love that. 

I loved more the fact that we did our survey before Molly did hers.  How do we know that?  Because she phoned from the beach on Eigg to check some details but had to run off to count a small colony she had just spotted.  I also loved it when Max asked me about one of the oystercatchers I had seen and then observed that it was more likely to be a female if it was collecting worms.  Home school in its full technicolour glory.

More cardiovascular studies with Harry speckled with small conversations about what he needs to take to T in the park festival tomorrow.  One excited teenager there but one nervous mother.  These things have got to be done but I am not sure I will eat or sleep until he is back.  I have warned him off little white pills but then picked up on the news that some of them are green so warned him off them as well!  The joys of modern parenting. 

I am hoping that I have sent my second pdf out to everyone on the meditation through writing course.  If you are expecting it and your inbox is empty please give me a virtual shake - many thanks.

Off for my daily watering - you all know what that means - no need for details.

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment