Sunday 7 July 2013

Day 188 - Always believe. xx


Sunday 7th July

Today was always going to be about Murray.  It began with no real movement when I woke and that familiar feeling of mild frustration.  I expected it though because yesterday's journey was shockingly bad and my body doesn't cope with that kind of experience very well.  Thankfully, my beautiful daughter was online and looking at a couple of new masters courses that seem interesting.  So my lovely husband delivered a mug of tea and I got to work on Molly's questions.  Having spent 10 years as an academic I know what I am looking for.  Conservation biology is an engaging body of knowledge that puts students right at the cutting edge of complex debates about the world that we inhabit.  A masters degree is a must for Molly and she has known that from the start.  We are acutely aware of the new Masters of Research that appears popular with the top universities in her field so we are focusing on those.  If she can get a place she will be well equipped with advanced research skills when she enters the profession full-time.  Getting a place is one thing but funding it will be quite another.  It is left to her mother to solve that problem so I hit the various funding body website and feel we have some options.  Meantime, Molly continues to be enchanted by the isle of Eigg and its stunning beauty. 

Once my nervous system had decided it would allow me to move I was up and at my day.  There is no doubt I am running behind a bit now but I am not phased by that.  I will get to it all as I can.  I am committed to completing my month two PDF for my meditation through writing course which is due to land in the students inboxes on Wednesday.  I have, however, shifted the face to face version on a week to buy a bit more time.  I spent the morning writing for the course and, as always, time disappeared.  I will admit to feeling that my writing is in a good place right now.  An early morning email from my writing heroine, Waverly Fitzgerald gave me a real lift.  I am currently studying two courses with her until the end of the year.  I have to email my 'homework' in and then she offers feedback.  This is what she said this morning -

Dear Fiona,

I do adore your writing. I want to take everything you send me and publish it without changing a word. Since I usually just pass along a summary of the homework for the other participants in the course, I don't feel like I can do that. But I want you to know I savor every word.

I especially adored this comparison of the seaweed smells of Portsmouth to the seaweed smells of Arran. You got me when you said the smell of the seaweed got mixed up with the scent of bodies covered in sun tan lotion and scents from the chips and candy floss. I was immediately there. Or rather back on the promenade at Aberystwyth. I suppose most seaside towns do smell alike.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you write next.

This girl was jumping.  I was so completely thrilled.  I love writing that can transport you to a time and a place so to know that I have achieved this with a piece is just so rewarding.  I take my writing very seriously and over recent months it has begun to feel that it is beginning to inhabit the right places and communicate the right messages.  But there is a long way to go before I can write like Waverly.  I do like a challenge. 
 

Just look at my tunnel.  It has gone bonkers in all this sunshine.  I love this time of year as the harvesting becomes a daily occurrence as I am reaping the rewards of all that hard work earlier in the season.  I hope those of you who grow are pleased with your harvest and perhaps I have persuaded one or two of you to give growing your own food a go next year.  The connection it gives you to the land we live on is priceless. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I can't just watch a Murray match because my nerves won't stand it so I have finally managed to cover my meditation through writing journal in the breaks.  I am quite sure all the students are way ahead of me with their journals but I do now love mine.  Molly is teaching me a love of birds and I wanted this journal to mark that joy.  I collected two oyster shells off Portsmouth beach for the boys to paint as the hues are stunning.  I might have to have a go as well.  I can always make time for painting. 

And, of course, Andy Murray, has won Wimbledon as was his destiny.  If you believe in yourself you will always win through in the end.  Sometimes it just takes a bit of time but a true champion never gives up.  Andy Murray never gave up.  His belief shone through in the end and we all loved the moment in the Doubleday house.  There was some serious jigging.  A very good day. 

Until tomorrow.  Xx

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment