Wednesday 23 October 2013

Day 296 - Everything just had to stop. xx

Wednesday 23rd October


It is important to take your chances with the weather when you live on a small island and yesterday afternoon the sun came out for a short while.  Lately life has just got busier and busier and so we decided that everything had to stop for a while.  A last visit to the Castle for the year beckoned so see the autumn colours so Pete and I headed out with the boys. 

I would describe it more of a wander than a walk but it was still refreshing to be outside after days of almost constant rain.  We were not disappointed with the colour show as autumn has well and truly taken hold of the Castle grounds.  You know that these colours are not going to last long so it is important to savour this time.  Soon the leaves will be a distant memory and the visual gallery will be of sculptured trees as they hibernate for the winter.  Winter is, by far, my favourite season and I like nothing better than a walk around the smallholding when the frost has taken hold.  I use my winters to plan the rest of the year but I also take stock of where I am and that is so important too.

The wildlife garden at the castle was already in winter mode with its various support strategies for the wildlife.  The solitary bee homes were so good to see and so easy to achieve.  Cut up bamboo canes stuff into a bucket and hung in a tree.  I must admit that I fill any empty space with hay for additional warmth.  Our solitary bee home as been ready for sometime.  Bird feeding was also evident in the wildlife garden and we really need to get on with that.  In the winter the various cats on the property don't venture out much so this year I want to set up a bird feeding station on the steps of my studio.  We make our own bird set cakes and that keeps them going along with the peanuts.  We have a young Robin on the property who has decided that Hazelbank will be its home for the time being.  We do love the Robins as they are so seasonal but they can be real bullies when it comes to the other birds. 

I was reading about the plans for the redevelopment of the Castle and I saw some mention of sustainable strategies as it related to energy use but not specifically the grounds.  The National Trust have the space to grow their own plants instead of shipping them across on the ferry.  There is a lot of tree felling and ground clearing going on and you do sense a plan but it is not easy to see what it is.  We were once tenant farmers on the Chatsworth Estate in Derbyshire and when we visited the house and gardens I would disappear off to check out their kitchen garden and cut flower borders.  I learnt most of my companion planting from those gardeners.  I do wish the National Trust would look into the sustainability of the grounds as well as the building and if they fail to do that they are certainly missing an opportunity.  I would like to see the wildlife garden extended and developed so that it might become a living classroom where course can be run and school children can visit.  The ranger centre is right there so the potential is enormous.  People often make the mistake of assuming that wildlife gardens are low maintenance and that is not the case.  They need to be carefully managed to keep the correct balance of habitats to service the greatest range of species.  I will be watching the developments of the Castle grounds with interest and I hope to be able to report better news. 

Today has been a delight as I finally got to meet one of the most loyal supporters of Scottish island mum.  Kathy reads this blog most days and tends to know more about my life than I do.  She runs the most enchanting wedding stationery business from her home in Helensburgh.  Although it was our first face to face meeting I feel like I have known her for years and we chatted and chatted and chatted... Kathy has done some writing for One soul many hearts which I hope to get up in the next week or so.  Something tells me that Kathy is going to be important in my life. 

I then finally got to the hairdressers.  It has been more months than I care to reflect on but Shirley has waved her magic wand and all is well with the world.  I now feel that I can leave the island and re-enter civilisation.  I also feel that I can attend Paul's memorial service without looking like some mad hippy from a small Scottish island.  Of course you feel marvellous when you come out of the hairdressers and try not to reflect on the fact that within 24 hours your hair will look completely different.  I just hang onto that marvellous feeling as long as possible. 


So, now it is time to try and catch up with all the new emails I have received particularly from American readers after One soul many hearts was recommended on Waverly Fitzgerald's newsletter.  Such kind comments have come in and I do try really hard to reply to everyone individually.  One soul many hearts will be issuing its own newsletter at the end of this week so you still have time to subscribe by entering your email address into the box in the sidebar to the right.  With 4,500 page views already this brand new site is punching way above its weight.  Last night I published the most fascinating true story written by Annie on the Towards Wellbeing page.  If you have some time pop over and have a read. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment