Thursday 18 July 2013

Day 199 - And which photograph was the most popular?

Thursday 18th July

I need some rain.  Apologies to all those you don't but I am a grower and I need some rain and fast.  My cut flower borders and willow crop are thirsty places and mother nature needs to give me a little hand.  I am quite happy for it to rain at night just as long as it rains.   Point made, me thinks.

No, I haven't finished my residency proposal and, yes, I know I should have by now.  This is new territory to me so it is taking much longer than I had hoped.  With a gentle wind behind my sail I should get it done tonight and make the deadline.  I love the project so much I think I am going to do some aspects of it anyway even if I am unsuccessful.  More details to follow.

I am in that horrid place where I have projects hanging out all over the place so this afternoon I decided something had to be done.  I learnt a long time ago that the finishing stage of making products always takes longer than it should so today I have pushed some products over the finishing line.  Now I feel like there is less hanging out and that I am, indeed, making good progress.  With a week to go before I leave the island I still have so much to do but everything will be done because it always comes together by magic just as I need it to.  I refused to be rattled and will just keep plodding on. 

My meditation through writing class was postponed this afternoon as our lovely Lynn is a bit under the weather.  We wish her a speedy recovery.  I have been updating my journal during the past week and I remembered that I had written an article on journaling so I have put it on my personal blog in case anyone is interested.  I have been journaling since the 1980s and I would be lost without it.  It helps me make sense of my life and gives me inspiration and then, fantastic memories.  Sometimes we forget how events in life change us and reading past journals is always incredibly revealing.  There have been two Fionas in this lifetime.  One before I became a mother and the other after Molly was born when my life changed for ever.  Regular readers will know that we lost our first baby so Molly was an extra special blessing and remains so to this day.  I always feel that she somehow saved me and I will, of course, be eternally grateful. 


I am not one of those people who has hundreds of facebook friends but I can honestly say that all of my facebook friends are true friends and I love them all dearly.  A sizable number of them are former pupils and I love that about facebook.  They are all grown up now and many have children of their own.  One of my favourite former pupils has just announced that he is to become a father.  Congratulations Brian, I am quite sure you will make a first class dad. 

I am delighted to share that another former pupil, Helen, will be writing for my new site One soul, many hearts.  I taught Helen in my very first teaching job in East London and she later became one of our bridesmaids.  Helen is now a mother herself to the most beautiful child you could ever imagine.  Helen's little family have travelled to some very special corners of the world and she is going to share that with us.  How lucky are we?  She will kick off our tour with Tibet as the site launches in October.  You just know I am jigging about that.  Can I persuade any of you reading this to share your special travel moments?  I am looking for unusual places rather than tourist sites.  Bearing in mind that I know a lot about a lot of my readers you know that I know who you are........I am not looking for experienced writers but I do want pieces that come from the heart and with the 'corners of the world' page I want pieces that tell us about the place but also how being there changed you.  Do message me if you would like to share anything and we can chat. 


I have already put out a final call on facebook for last advanced orders for tickets for our fundraising butterfly supper on September 10th at Coast.  If anyone else would like to reserve some tickets do let me know soon as they go out on general release at the end of the month with promotion in the Banner and Voice newspapers.  I only have 40 tickets to sell but it promises to be a fabulous night.  If you are coming please tell your friends about it and they can come too.  There might even be some dancing.....

I am passionate about arts and environmental education and I do want to share the 'What has to be done' project with you.  A sailing ship is touring the western isles with a mix of environmentalist and artists on board.  The aim is to bring the debate to the Scottish islands in a new and innovative way and I think it is very special.  I fear that, in the debate about climate change, many of us have stopped listening.  This project raises the real concerns in a way that makes people stop and think and I applaud the essence of what they are attempting to achieve.  On their website you will find a blog and do remember that sometimes change happens 'one blog at a time.' 

I am gently turning my head towards my trip to Eigg and it occurs to me that you guys may have some questions you would like me to ponder about the island.  My intention is to get behind the headlines of the story and discover more about the people that have, and are, making it such a powerful place to live.  The stories that emerge on almost a daily basis from that tiny island are remarkable and I think we could all learn so much from the way that community is constructed and the way people live their lives.  If you have a burning question about the island do let me have it sometime over the next week and I will take it off to Eigg with me.  Many thanks. 

I have been so impressed with the messages that have come in about my Brodick set of contemplative photographs on flickr.  You guys have so much creativity!  I asked people to view the 24 photographs and choose the one that they felt most connected to creatively.  I am giving feedback on which photograph came out the most popular on Scottish island mum facebook page later so look out there.  I will be developing my skills in contemplative photography further on the Isle of Eigg and think I may run this set into a wee competition - nice and friendly, of course.  Let's see how I get on first. 

So, Scottish island mum continues to be a space for virtual sharing and I am so pleased.  I have read enough sterile blogs in my time and I so wanted this one to be different.  Your involvement has become what this whole project is about and I feel totally blessed.  I have just realised that I am almost at the 200 days mark and that I should hit 20,000 page views at the same time.  Perfect, but WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN?

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment