Monday 1 July 2013

Day 182 - A time of transition. xx

Monday 1st July

Donna and I have had a gentle day which began with coffee and cake as all good days should.  To me the shopping options in Portsmouth seem endless and the city has a lovely range of independent shops.  It also has an enormous amount of charity shops and this family are seasoned shoppers in these venues. 

By contrast, there are limited shopping options on the island and only one charity shop.  I shop locally on the island to ensure that I am supporting the local economy.  In my view the island should be following the examples set by Totnes and Bristol and creating its own currency.  We need to find ways of keeping the money on the island and this is one way that could work.

My head is in a slight spin as the dust settles after Scottish island mum appearing in the national newspaper yesterday.  I spent all evening responding to emails containing lots of interesting questions.  I also contemplated two offers from islanders living in different Scottish islands to visit and write about their communities.  I feel very strongly that I need to take some time to decide what to do next and how to respond to the various requests coming in.  Before Scottish island mum started swimming with the big fish I was very clear where I was going with it.  I am always open to a rethink but the integrity of the project must remain in tact. 

I am back to my delicate tissue paper wrapping it up and keeping it safe.  As we move into the month of July we have tipped into the second half of the year so it is, perhaps, a good time to take stock.  With that in mind I can't help wondering what some of you are making of all this interest in Scottish island mum?  If you are a regular reader I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions.  By definition, you have invested in this little piece of the virtual world so you have a right to a view and I would be hugely grateful to receive it. 

As a community we are far more than the sum of its parts and we have a growing voice which we may want to consider with care.  We have established a rich and on going dialogue which allows the story to unfold in small, but perfectly formed chapters.  Project by project we are finding new ways to make a difference and share thoughts and perspective on a challenging world.  This might have begun its life on a small Scottish island but it sprouted wings many moons ago.  In responding to the many emails every day I then give myself the next day to make sense of what I have been offered.  I then weave much of that into my thinking and subsequent writing.  I obviously respond to my day as a main feature of the daily blog but it has somehow moved beyond that. 

You might be interested in the fact that since I began this project 22 other people that I have met along the way have now set up their own blogs.  I have been able to offer advice where asked and watch their blog voice become established and that has to be an absolute privilege.  I don't want to decide in July what to do with Scottish island mum in December because that misses the point of the project.  That said, it would be interesting to have thoughts.  Do message me anytime.  Many thanks.

With Donna's son Joshua moving to secondary school I have been transported back to my teaching career where it was my job to prepare the children at the top of the primary school for this new challenge.  Joshua has returned from his taster day at the 'big' school full of promise and energy which is a joy to see.  In essence it means the secondary school has done a good job.  But the work begins much earlier than that as the children enter their final year at primary.  There is a lot of growing up to be done and quick quickly; it is an important transition in life. 

Transitions are interesting and engaging places to be and the work that I have been doing with Waverly Fitzgerald has taught me a great deal.  I am currently locked into two transitions in my life.  The first is purely hormonal as this 'woman of a certain age' crashes towards her menopause.  I decided a long time ago to do this naturally and thus set myself quite a challenge.  As I enter the final straight I am glad that I took this course because I can feel a calmness about myself and a growing sense of 'me'.  I am quite happy with where I am and where I am going.  Waverly writes very well on this subject in her book Slow Time and she convinced me that I could let Mother Nature lead. 


The other transition relates to my children as they are all growing up and away.  Molly has already left the nest and as I type is on her way to the Isle of Eigg to take up her post of assistant warden for a month.  Harry is not far behind her as he gentles lifts his wings to check they work.  George and Max are a little further behind but it won't be long before I am talking about them as I have about their older siblings.  I would be the first to admit that I struggled when Molly went to university but at the end of her second year I have adjusted and, I think, quite well.  I was always determined that my children must feel free to spread their wings and fledge in the knowledge that I am always there if they need me.  Alongside that I wanted to concentrate on how to make the most of this time for me.  Home school has demanded many, many hours of commitment but when that comes  to and end I will have that time to do other things.

And this is what placed me neatly on this writing journey and I will be forever grateful that the idea dropped into my mind.  When much more experienced writers tell you that you should be thinking about a book you should show that advice some respect.  On the other hand when other islanders send heart felt messages asking for my help I need to listen to them as well. 

Answers on a postcard please...

Until tomorrow.  xx


No comments:

Post a Comment