Sunday 31 March 2013

Day 90 - Reflecting on my writing journey

Easter Sunday - 31st March

I do hope you have all had a lovely Easter Sunday.  I am still trying to catch up with work having lost a week to the power cuts but I did manage a sneaky coffee with Molly at Coast.  I was delighted so them really busy as this creates a feeling that the season in underway.  Lots of people still coming through the door to order lunch after 3pm so this is great trade for the boys and very well deserved. 

I was slightly concerned on waking that the Easter Bunny had forgotten about me but he must have just missed me out by mistake as my lovely chocolate egg arrived a little later.  I think I was in the second post. 

I have had so many lovely messages from people who read my piece that I posted on my creative blog yesterday.  I have absolutely no idea why I decided to publish it yesterday as I wrote it more than two years ago.  I had thought that I would never publish it but I am glad I did because it is a story that needed to be told.  Writing is a funny old game.  When you start writing you quickly learn that there are a few stories from your life that need to be told.  It is very difficult to make any real progress until these stories are out there.  This story was incredibly hard to write but a necessary part of my writing journey and so I now move forward. 

The artist Paul Gauguin once said 'I shut my eyes in order to see' and I keep that expression very close to me in my writing.  People often ask me how I decide what to write about.  The answer is really simple.  I sit down at my lap top, shut my eyes and let my mind find a pathway to follow.  That pathway will often reflect what I have been doing during the day but not always.  One of my personal gurus Julie Cameron said 'the capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention'.  I pay very close attention to what goes on around me.  I notice alot and I store it away for later.  I also pay attention to myself and where my mind takes me and I use that as a strategy for meditation.  I have completed my foundation training in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and that has opened up a whole new way of seeing and often with my eyes shut.   I first encountered NLP as a patient at an NHS pain clinic.   I had never heard of it before and it was an interestiing first encounter.  My first session was a complete diaster as the practitioner happened to refer to the power of a guiding star in the battle with pain.  I fell apart instantly as I had already chosen a star in the sky as being my late father and whenever I needed guidance I look to the star.  So the practitioner learnt that she has had accidently chosen a completely wrong NLP pathway.  We re-grouped in the next session and stabbed around in the great darkness until we found a set of pathways that could help to establish a dialogue with my personal battle with pain.  It was a real breakthrough not just in my relationship with pain but how I understood my mind. 

The human mind works on many levels and research shows we  only use a very small amount of its actual capacity.  Using NLP as my guide I have managed to open up new channels that have taken me down illuminating pathways.  I have also used the techniques of NLP with my children when they have been through a challenging phase.  We even used it to support Molly through her GCSEs and A levels so it has been well tested in our family.  I use some of the techniques on a daily basis and I think I would be lost without it. 

I have already forgotten to put the pork in the oven on time so really must go. 

Until tomorrow. xx





No comments:

Post a Comment