Friday 12 July 2013

Day 193 - I appear to have crashed into a nerve. xx

Friday 12th July

Goodness me aren't we all lucky in the UK to be having such a wonderful spell of weather?  Today is another one of our 'infinity' days when it is impossible to see where the sea finishes and the sky starts.  You can also not see any mainland.  I like days like this because I feel that the island is rising slightly from the gentle waves and we are floating about in the sea.  One of the few things I am good at is floating.  I can float in water without having to move a muscle.  I know all my old PE colleagues will be having a little smile as they know that has something to do with fat to muscle ratio but I don't care.  It is blissful floating and it is, perhaps, the most free I ever feel.


True to my intention I have finally got underway with making products for the two large events I have coming up.  Joining forces with Angie has made it easier and more achievable so that is some relief.  The other relief is that I had forgotten how much I enjoy mosaic making.  I use beach fragments rather than commercially cut glass tiles so it is a real challenge to continually find pieces that fit together.  With Love from Arran is diversifying slightly for this summer season just because it can.  Since I stopped selling to retail I don't have to get into batch making mode that is a little soul destroying.  I am continuing with all my best sellers like my dream pillows and my natural soy candles but I want to include some new products just for the fun of it.  I think Sugar and Spice and With love from Arran is a really exciting prospect and Angie and I bounce ideas about the entire time we are together.  My design and craft work has taken a real back seat since Scottish island mum began so it is good to have someone to get me a bit more focused again.  And can I just say that if any of you guys want some new cushions Angie is so your girl. 

Beach fragments have always fascinated me and I can often be found on the beach with my basket wandering along looking at the sand.  I know exactly what I am looking for but when I spot a particularly enchanting piece I am prone to letting out a little squeal.  Each fragment has its own story to tell and when I am making the mosaics I always pay attention to which pieces should go where.  There always seems to be a natural order of things and I get a little lost in the art form.  I will confess that I often find it difficult to part with the finished pieces so I shall be the mad woman at the Highland Games fighting over a mosaic butterfly that I just know I don't want to sell.  I so need to get a life!

Speaking of getting a life it would appear that I have rather crashed into a nerve with my post yesterday.  Creating a dialogue with my readers is the most important aspect of this year long writing project.  Normally, it is a joy to read lots and lots of emails but last night and through today it has been a little tough.  I have had over 50 emails from readers who wanted to share their experience of stress.  It would appear that some of you are winning the war against stress and sharing your strategies has been hugely welcome.  But, it would appear that some of you are not winning the war and stress has got a real hold on you.  I think I have now replied to you all but can I just say to those suffering from stress how sorry I am that you are having such a difficult time.  I am, however, pleased that you all recognise that stress has become a problem for you and that you all said you wanted to do something about it.  Maybe, between us, we can help.  The diagram at the end of todays post puts it all into sharp perspective and I am hugely grateful to Dawn for sharing it with us.  It really makes the point that stress affects our health and is worth us all taking note of.  I have been forced to do something about stress because of my illness but I am strangely grateful for that opportunity.  I can't always maintain a feeling of wellbeing especially in the middle of a relapse but I am always aware now of the dangers of stress.  For me it is not just about the body as it is also about the mind.  So many of your emails have linked difficulties with stress to depression and I am convinced that stress damages our spirits.  From that point it is often a downward spiral so there is much to be done to prevent that damage occurring in the first place. 

It is so important not to preach or offer a magical formula that is supposed to fit everyone.  Everyone's relationship with stress is different and I do not pretend to have all the answers.  I have, however, worked very hard over the last 10 years to remove the effects of stress on my mind and body and with some success.  I am thinking that some of that might be worth sharing.  I have also been researching stress on and off during that time as I like to know what I am dealing with.  If I put those two bodies of knowledge together with all your positive strategies we may just end up with something really worth sharing.  If it helps just one person find a way to manage stress and improve their wellbeing I will be delighted. 

I have begun work on my 'stress busting manifesto' which will include ideas for creating 'bliss moments'.  I don't have a shape for this manifesto yet but I am expecting that to surface over the next few days.  It would be relatively easy just to list all the helpful stress busting strategies but there are two problems with that approach.  The first being that I don't do lists and the second being that that is what all the other blogs/websites do and I like to be different.  I want to put something together that readers can download and save on their hard drive so that it can be accessed as and when needed.  I also want it to be a 'living document' that is updated often as new thoughts and ideas emerge from us and readers can then simply update their file. 

Running alongside that I do want to offer up some support on a daily basis.  I subscribe to a couple of daily meditation sites and when I wake they are in my inbox and I can do them before I even get out of bed.  I am going to start using my twitter account in a more useful way.  You have shared so many useful ideas that I can pass them on in a more immediate way through twitter.  I have even changed the name to Scottish island mum as it might be easier to remember.  If you use twitter do start following and I will follow back as they say in 'Twitterland.'  I had my very own bliss moment today when a red squirrel arrived just in front of the window where I was working.  I got to watch it gathering up food before turning away to find a nice tree to climb.  It never knew I was there and that was very special.  I do hope to connect with as many of you as possible on Twitter. 

Regular readers will remember that I met up with the lovely Di when in Portsmouth.  We hadn't seen each other for about 13 years but those years were erased in a moment when I opened the front door and there she was.  A quick update just to keep you all in the loop.  Di and I are beginning to thrash out some joint writing and editorial projects for the new site One soul many hearts.  Di is my Angie of the writing world and I feel blessed to have them both in my life.  Di is a former teacher and a natural writer and just the very best person to be right by my side as the launch of the new site moves ever closer.  One soul many hearts will be a place for sharing all that is good and I have a really strong vision about where it might go over the next few years.  I think Di shares that vision and between us we will build a virtual haven that makes a real difference to all who follow it.  I am still looking for people who would like to share a piece of writing, a photograph or a piece of art.  I am particularly interested to hear from people who have travelled to unusual corners of the world and are prepared to share their impressions with us.  Please do message me if you would like to be involved in any aspect of the site and we can chat. 

My beloved daughter Molly will be joining me on this new site as she brings us hopeful stories in conservation that we can all share.  She is currently writing a blog about her experiences this summer on several professional placements.  Currently on the Isle of Eigg as assistant warden she is engaging in lots of worthwhile tasks and taking much from each and every one of them.  Do pop by and read her blog, Conservation Stories, when you get some time because it makes for a very good read. 

As it is Friday I do want to just wish you all a lovely weekend in the sunshine and I do hope you manage to create some bliss moments.  Look out on twitter!

Until tomorrow. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment