Friday 9 August 2013

Day 221 - Tea ceremony. xx

Friday 9th August

It is all in the knowing.  At this time it is in the knowing that I am now not alone on my little sabbatical as I have lots of you joining me.  Your emails are delightful as they are sharing the various ways we are all achieving our sabbatical.  One lucky reader booked a holiday on the continent for the very next day and has just gone.  She put a note on facebook and left.  A number of you are taking a few weeks out in September and are making plans now and I think that is wise.  My sabbatical was a little forced due to recurring health relapses but I am going to plan one in advance next year.  One of the interesting threads coming through is that many of us love to learn new things but that this can have its consequences.  It can be quite exhausting and I think that is my personal dilemma.  My late father always wanted me to focus on just one thing but that was never really going to happen.  If change doesn't happen naturally I rather give it a little nudge.  I am, as they say, my own worst enemy. 

My online courses with Waverly Fitzgerald are a complete and utter joy.  Although I am very familiar with her book Slow Time and have done the exercises before I am learning that you need to do them regularly for the effects to last.  The Year in Flowers course is new to me but slots right into my love of seasonality.  A symptom of my exhaustion displayed itself in my homework for last week when I was asked to create a menu using edible flowers as the focus and invite some friends to enjoy the meal with me.  It was a step too far and I couldn't even contemplate the task so I modified it to a tea ceremony instead.  Both the Chinese and Japanese know all about tea ceremonies and I drew much from their customs.  That said I did create my own unique bergamot tea ceremony which I do want to just share -

Bergamot was widely used by some North American Indian tribes as a healing herb.  It is native to Asia but is cultivated in Italy.  It shows up in 16th century medicinal books as a healing herb capable of cleansing.  It is considered to be a natural antiseptic as well as an anti-depressant.  It has a bitter orange flavour and has been used in perfumery for hundreds of years.  Bergamot provides the flavour for Earl Grey tea and it is in its tea properties that I want to focus.

 
 
 
The drinking of tea is an ancient custom to many societies and over the years many of us have lost the ceremony of it.  You can use fresh or dried leaves to make tea.

In our ceremony we will first pick the leaves and lay them on a muslin frame to dry.  Keep the frame out of the direct sunlight otherwise the naturals oils will seep away.  The leaves will take between 5 and 10 days to dry.  This gives us time to visit every charity shop in the neighbourhood to locate our perfect tea pot and cups and saucers.  Ensure that these items say something about you. 

Send out handwritten invitations to some friends to join you for tea.  On the day of the tea ceremony first make a batch of bergamot shortbread. 

Bergamot shortbread

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely ground dried bergamot leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest


1. In a small bowl, whisk flour, leaves and salt in a small bowl.
2. Put butter, sugar, and orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture until just combined.
3. Divide dough in half. Transfer each half to a piece of parchment paper; shape into logs. Roll in parchment to 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow the log and force out air. Freeze until firm, about an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment.
5. Bake shortbread rotating sheets halfway through until edges are golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Shortbread can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days.

Set shortbread aside to cool and begin to set your tea ceremony table.  Your table should include tea plates and a cup and saucer for each guest.  Honey should be on the table as a natural sweetener.  If possible harvest some bergamot flowers for decoration and also include an unlit candle. 

Make the tea as you guests arrive and are seated.  Add two to three teaspoons of dried leaves to your teapot and add boiling water.  Allow to sit for a few minutes and place the teapot in the centre of your table.  Light the candle to welcome in the flavours and serve your bergamot shortbread.  Pour the tea working from the guest on your right and then in a clockwise direction.  You serve yourself last.  Lifting your tea cup all together you then say a blessing before drinking and enjoying.  Do not rush your ceremony.  Keep everything light and fresh and ensure the conversation remains positive and inspiring.  Let the cleansing nature of the tea feed your soul. 

My very own bergamot tea ceremony.   You can do the same by drying peppermint leaves or lemon verbena leaves.  You will find the flavours from your own dried leaves far superior to shop bought herbal teas.  Something for the weekend maybe?  As you know I will be dancing a Highland Fling this weekend at the Highland Games. 
 
Until tomorrow.  xx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment