Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 219 - a mini revolution....xx

Wednesday 7th August

At last Pete and I managed to celebrate our wedding anniversary which was actually on the 27th July.  I think that is what happens when you have been married for 22 years.  We escaped for lunch in Brambles in the Auchrannie and had a lovely meal before a wander along the seafront at Brodick.  A gentle way to celebrate and perhaps just right for this year. 

I may be guilty of beginning a mini revolution based on my idea of a sabbatical.  I have had dozens of emails from readers stating that they are planning a sabbatical as well.  I do hope we have all told our families otherwise they could be in for a bit of a shock.  All sorts of reasons have been cited for needing a sabbatical but the intention is the same.  People just want to simplify their lives for a while and breathe a little more deeply.  I am so taken with the idea that I am going to make it an annual event.  For a designated four weeks every year I am going to strip my life back to its absolute basic requirements and recharge.  Because I work for myself and from home I have no excuse not to be able to do this.  I see it as an investment in myself and the rest of the year and I am happy to welcome some of you on my mini sabbatical revolution.  When I was an academic my teaching came before everything and I was always deeply suspicious of colleagues who went off on a research sabbatical.  I always thought it was an excuse to do very little.  I am sure that was not the case for most but I do know of one or two that that was true for.  At the end of their sabbatical they used to creep back into the team and hope nobody noticed otherwise we would want to know what they had done with their sabbatical. 

My sabbatical swims against my own tide because I am not very good at emptying my diary.  I am, however, very good at filling it up.  In the past few days I have had some fascinating chats with people about their sabbaticals and how they are going to construct them.  One reader is taking a day a week rather than a block of time and on that day she is going to reconnect with the natural world.  I think that is a fabulous idea.  One thing that is emerging is that we need to be clear with those around us of the rules of engagement with the sabbatical otherwise families and friends may well just carry on as normal.  So, poor health might have prompted my sabbatical but I am strangely grateful.  One of the pieces of writing I have had the best feedback on is my stress busting manifesto.  People are adopting parts or all of it to help change their lives for the better and I could not be more pleased.  Perhaps the Scottish island mum community is taking a bit of a stand against a lifestyle that is overcrowded and stressful?  Maybe we could be beginning a process of untangling that will allow us all to lead lives the way we want to rather than those dictated by the world in which we live?  After all, do we not control our own worlds and are we not in control of our own destiny?  I am, of course, not expecting lots of answers as I merely raise the questions as starting point for some reflective thinking. 

Running my smallholding and my writing is the focus for my sabbatical and almost everything else has been cancelled or postponed and I feel much more grounded as a result. A strong period of reflection will be the likely outcome as I do some of my best thinking when I am gardening and when I am writing. 


On returning to Whiting Bay we met up with Nanny Nikki and her family on the beach.  There were quite a few children on the beach with their nets investigating rock pools.  I was mindful of the emerging body of work on The Balanced Child page.  Parents were engaged with their children or sitting watching them and the children were so happy.  It was a joy to behold and just cements further my belief that children should be outside as much as possible. 

Jaden and Amber were crab hunting so I got to play with the baby and practice my grandmother skills.  They are having such a lovely holiday and I think Jaden, who is 8, would like to move here.  Tomorrow we are off to the north of the island for a little look at Lochranza and a picnic.  Jaden will really want to move here after that trip. 

I do feel a change in the weather.  The days are still warm and sunny but the evenings are much cooler and lots of my plants have gone into seed mode.  They clearly think summer is over.  I will be collecting far more seeds than I can use so will happily share and can post out some packets on request.  I will keep you all up to date with progress.  My lupins and borage are well underway with their seed production and you all know how much I love borage.  I want to finish this post with some pics of the place I call home....

Until tomorrow. xx

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment