Monday 5 August 2013

Day 217 - the apron has been on. xx

Monday 5th August

I think it is fair to say that things are getting back to normal.  I have an old apron that my beloved Grandma once owned and I put it on when I mean business.  Today has been one of those days.  First to receive the apron treatment was the tunnel that needed quite a bit of sorting through.  Annuals that are over have now made their way to the compost bins alongside lots and lots of tomato plant branches that are blocking light from reaching my green fruit.  I do have some red tomatoes but not quite red enough to harvest.  The next job will be to peg down my strawberry runners so that I can make new plants for next year.  If you haven't done this before it is very simple.  Just fill some pots with compost and place round the mother plant.  Place the runners over the pots and peg down into the soil.  In  a few short weeks the runners will make new roots and thus new plants.  I do like free things. 

The cut flower garden is in full glory now but I need to get back into cutting to convince the plants to send out more flowers.  My sweet peas are still hanging in there but some have decided to turn to seed so I am just letting that process start with a few.  Seed saving is a major part of the plan this year in order to make as many free plants as possible.  My fennel is just starting to seed up as are my lupins.  Always store seeds in marked envelopes somewhere very dry. 

I wonder if any of you are growing sunflowers and if so, could I persuade you to leave the dying flowers to generate seeds.  Sunflower seeds are excellent for our feathered friends through the colder winter months.  One of my sunflowers had a little visitors just as I was taking this picture.  You can see the seed pods starting to form on this flower head and seeds will follow. 

Once the end of August is upon us there is a real temptation to start tidying up the garden but we might just be missing the opportunity to harvest seeds so maybe we could wait a few weeks this year? 

I am days away from harvesting most of my lavender so am hoping for a dry week.  You should harvest lavender just before it reaches full flower by cutting the stems and tying them in small groups.  I then turn them upside down and hand the bunches out of direct sunlight.  If you need to cut back your lavender in the autumn don't cut into the woody part of the stem otherwise you will kill it.  That said, they do like a good cut back in the autumn.  I completed my final cut back of my chive plants today and this is always quite radical.  They will then be potted on into larger pots with fresh compost to over winter.  Oregano is also being harvested and dried for cooking and also Christmas wreath making.  So there is lots to do at this time of year.  I will be ordering my spring bulb order soon and this year we are concentrating on hyacinths which we will plants in various vintage containers.  They are very popular Christmas presents on the island. 

The apron stayed on while the house got similar treatment although nothing needed cutting back.  I feel more organised and able to take advantage of no home school for the next couple of weeks as they boys are on their summer break.  It is the athletics world championships starting this weekend so there would be little point in doing school when minds are elsewhere. 

The day finished with scones (baked by George) strawberries and cream with Nanny Nikki and her adorable family.  Still so much to catch up on and my memory is shocking.  Pete and Nikki are far better at swapping notes while I look on with one of those blank looks that women of a certain age has on a fairly regular basis.   

Another warm sunny day on the island so there is absolutely no excuse for moaning about the weather on Arran this summer.  It has been quite exceptional. 

Until tomorrow.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment