Thursday 8 August 2013

Day 220 - a proper tumble

Thursday 8th April


I have had such a lovely day today with a drive up to the north of the island with Nanny Nikki and her family.  I had George, Max and Jaden with me and we were spotting deer on the hillside before stopping to play some games on the rocks around the burn.  Jaden's love affair with Arran continues and although he bought his 3DS along for the ride it never left its case.  First is the rock jumping to criss-cross the fast flowing burn and then there are the flat races with the relay races to finish.  Amber joined in and did really well until the last race when she took a proper tumble.  She is probably getting to the age when a tumble becomes a fall and it hurts so I was very impressed with her bravery. 






Jaden adored nature's playground and we chatted on route to Lochranza about all the things the outdoors offers.  Do you think I am persuading children of the great outdoors one child at a time?  It may take me a while if that is the goal.  The deer graced us with their majestic presence right on the top of the hillsides until we got into Lochranza where they were grazing only a few feet away.  It is always a little chilly in Lochranza but we had our picnic regardless while watching the small ferry come in and out again as it headed back to the Mull of Kintyre.  Lochranza castle is currently under works to repair decaying structures so we wandered along the pebble beach to the end where the children skimmed stones. 

Always important to fit in a coffee stop at the distillery on the way out of Lochranza and I am fit to carry on.  A good photography exhibition was at the distillery so we spent some time deciding on our favourites before heading back to the car.  We were not lucky with seal spotting today but we did see the Waverely steam boat heading out of Brodick Bay. 


The drive to the north of the island and backs makes me fall in love with the island a little more each time.  The north of the island is so rugged that you can't help but feel deeply connected to the landscape.  The drama captivates all who spend time within it and the wonder it creates is spellbinding.  I am a firm believer in spending time in big landscapes as it always helps to get everything in perspective.  I could see the children connecting with their environment and seeing nature's challenges around every corner.  I can not skim stones and it is a skill that has left me a little frustrated.  But the children all had success and took great enjoyment from it.  This is stripping life back for the children and it proved to be a really enjoyable day.  Tomorrow afternoon we are all meeting on the beach to go rock pooling and then I doubt whether Jaden will ever leave the island. 

My children have been so lucky to do most of their growing up here and I am sure the experiences will stay with them forever.  Jaden is fascinated by all the knowledge the boys have of the natural world like the broken mussel shells that are dropped by the gulls so they can open them and get their food.  When I eventually get round to writing my home school book I will get a chance to record all that we have done.  I am not sure it will be a book targeted at home schooled children only.  I think its appeal might well be broader as I recount all the games we have made up over the years in nature's playground.  I might just have stumbled across a title....

Tomorrow I must turn my head back to making a few products to stock up for the Highland Games on Saturday.  Time to get the kilt out and dance the highland fling.....doubtful, I know. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment