Thursday 22 August 2013

Day 234 - A real horror story. xx

Thursday 22nd August

It is not often that I watch the news especially late in the evening as it is beyond depressing.  I was on my ipad last night when the programme I had been half watching drifted into the news.  Words fail me at this point to describe the horror that unfolded on the screen.  Syrian children clearly suffering from some sort of chemical weapon attack and it was so incredibly painful to watch.  The news reporter scuttled onto the next item but I was left wondering what on earth I had just seen.  I do not often comment on the news as it is so often politically driven and hyped by the media and both discourses leave me cold.  But it would be impossible not to comment on this awful situation in Syria.  I have rather lost the plot regarding what this war is about but I suspect so have the people.  Any war that goes on this long becomes about the war not the cause.  There can be no cause worth what we saw last night and what those poor children suffered.  Many of the children died and it became clear that something needs to be done.  The reporters were full of the politics of it all while I am shouting at the television 'children have died the most horrid death and we are talking politics!,


It is sometimes difficult to live in this world and I think many societies think they have it right when they clearly do not.  We once studied the United Nations in home school and I remember being shocked at how little difference this body can make particularly if a fast reaction is required.  The UN, like many international bodies, is bound up in red tape and this hampers what can be achieved.  The situation in Syria demonstrates that so well when we have UN representatives in the city but unable to visit the district where this attack happened.  We have got this so wrong.  As individuals we feel so helpless and even after donating to the current Save the Children Syria appeal I felt no better. 

At the root of this is anger and anger is something I have spent some time reflecting on.  I am sure we have all experienced anger and know it to be a negative and destructive emotion.  I was angry last week with cancer as it stole another dear friend but I couldn't stay angry.  Buddhism teaches us a great deal about anger and how to deal with it and I am grateful for that.  I do, however, see anger everywhere in everyday situations and I do want to shake angry people.  It is far too easy to get locked into our anger and let it begin to dictate our behaviour and our every thought.  But, ultimately, it gets us nowhere and just makes us stressed and we all know how I feel about stress. 

It is hard not to be angry at the people who used chemicals to attack these helpless children but if we meet anger with anger we get nowhere.  I believe we should do far more in our communities to deal effectively with anger.  Children need to learn how to deal with anger and schools can play a big part in that.  However, it is in the home where I believe we have the best opportunities.  Parents must consider the part that anger plays in them and do what they can to eradicate it from their behaviour.  If we all took some time to think of the situations that lead to an angry response we might be able to start working towards more appropriate responses.  From transient road rage to angry outbursts to our partners and everything else in between.  If we can raise our children in a less angry environment we are doing a really good thing.  I have friends and family members who get contorted by their anger and it is no way to live a life. 

The quality of living is in the front of my mind at the moment after Paul's untimely death.  I have spent some time adjusting our family diet to include more cancer busting foods and I am building more time into the day for exercise.  But the news report last night made me think about our mental health and I think there is more to be done there.  It may be that this is a little neglected and that may be a problem for wider society.  We have brought our children up to be empathetic and compassionate beings but it is important not to be complacent.  So I am going to invest a bit more time in home school concentrating on our mental health and see where that takes us.  It is a small contribution but it is a real contribution. 

I have found Mark Choono's account on Syria a comfort as it illustrates some of the good that is being done.  I am now following the UNICEF's response to the crisis on their facebook page and feel more informed about events and possibilities for hope. 

Although a Buddhist I have respect for all religions and I found this prayer on the Mission World web site.  Perhaps those of us who feel comfortable could all say this prayer in the hope that peace may soon come to the country and, indeed, all countries with internal conflicts. 

Pray for Syria as instability continues through fighting, as social and economic upheaval continues, for unemployment and currency collapse. Pray too for the United Nations and other surrounding nations as solutions and peace are sought.

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment