Monday 10 June 2013

Day 161 - lost the battle but won the war.

Monday 10th June

Someone has stolen our sunshine.  There will be no questions asked if you could just give it back.  Thank you!

Life returns to a slightly more normal pace today with home school starting the day off.  As expected we agreed that we should update the Butterfly Tree journal while it was all fresh in our minds.  We began by discussing the overall design and look of the new pages before assigning jobs and getting on with it. 
Keeping up with my intention to photograph hands working as part of the project I managed to capture the boys sketching a plant each.  I think they think I have rather lost the plot with this photographing of hands but I will just need to prove them wrong in due course. 

George also set about counting the money and the actual total was £72.00 so we are obviously delighted.  He also recorded the efforts made by our campaign hero, Angus (7 years), in written form.  We still have the photographs to add but I think we were pretty pleased with our efforts. 

Last evening I put the story of little Angus and his plant growing and subsequent donation on the Butterfly Tree facebook page.  Within a very short time Jane, the director, did a lovely response.  I can't tell you how precious the dialogue between us on the island and the Butterfly team is.  It breathes life into the campaign and keeps us all focused. 

I would just like to pay tribute to Tim and Bev Hodkinson from Bay News in the village.  They have supported this campaign from the start and I dropped off wire today so that Bev can make yet more butterflies.  It is people like this that lie at the centre of what is a truly rewarding project.  Bev has kindly stocked all the butterfly crafts so if you are local do pay her a visit. 

This afternoon did not run quite to plan as I had a slight family issue to support but that is what family life is all about.  I did want to say that my meditation through writing course is finished but not quite.  No matter, it is maths in home school tomorrow and you will know by now that that can not involve me!  That gives me a morning of writing so it should all be finished by lunchtime tomorrow.  I have loved every minute of writing this course as I bring together various aspects of my teachings into one place.  I am hoping that this has created a unique course but I will wait for feedback before I get ahead of myself.  I am hoping to send it out to some trusty friends who are not taking the course but I know will give me honest feedback.  I hope my head doesn't disappear under my pillow with shame!  There is nothing like a completely new venture to raise your heart beat.

Ending today with a bit of a comparison.  First photograph shows the boundary of our neighbour's house (the one with the noisy tools) and second shows her boundary.  For me this illustrates where we are going wrong.  The neighbour cuts his verge within an inch of its life with the noisiest tool he can find.  Until this year he thought he was being helpful cutting ours as well.  Finally, we have persuaded him to leave it alone.  The objection that then followed is that he has to look at it.  He doesn't actually!  My pleas for the flying insects were lost on him so I lost the battle but I won the war.  Today and everyday it is full of flying insects and, in particularly, the honey bees who love to feed off the flowering clover.  June is the most important month for wildflowers and if we can persuade the council to cut verges no sooner than the end of July we allow for self seeding.  I am aware that I am well and truly on my very worn soap box but, if I am honest, I make no apology.  We need to think differently about the plight of the honey bee in particular or else we are all in trouble.  In corners of the world progress in being made and this is my little corner. 

Until tomorrow.  xx




No comments:

Post a Comment