Sunday 6 October 2013

Day 279 - A very powerful spit. xx

Sunday 6th October

It has been a weekend of rabbits, alpacas and very large dogs as I have been helping Harry look after a friend's animals while they are away.  If you have never seen an alpaca spit you have not lived because it is just the funniest thing.  You can see them building up to the moment but when they spit the power is extraordinary.  If you are in the path you have no chance.  So I watch their eyes for clues that they are thinking about it. 

The wild rabbits share the field with the alpacas and don't seem to be bothered by our arrival.  They do look a healthy bunch so maybe living with alpacas is to be recommended.  Then there are the dogs the size of small ponies that I simply adore.  They waddle around with me while I chat to the alpacas and they are so loving.  George cycled to the farm on his new bike and he is loving his new wheels. 

Harry said he had the worst day of his life yesterday as the course he is on was incredibly boring and also too far beyond his experience.  There were only a couple of younger lads there and the rest were all experienced farmers and the like with lots of existing experience of chemicals.  Harry turned in for the practical day today but he is not hopeful of passing the test.  We are happy that he has done his best and he might just be a bit young of this particular hurdle.  We shall see. 

Scottish island mum appears to have opened up a door into working in international charities and now two further opportunities have presented themselves.  Both of them are short term writing contracts that enable me to support small charities in promoting their cause so I am delighted to be able to help.  One is working with a small community hospital in Rwanda which is just the most challenging of places to live.  The other is a new women's hospital in India and they need help persuading the community to send their women to this new resource.  My job is to write some text that illuminates, shares and persuades.  I do think this is an excellent use of Scottish island mum. 


I get asked to review things all the time and mostly I say no because of the commerciality of the proposition.  I have been asked to review Edinburgh's premier Halloween experience which I would have done if I had the time.  October is ridiculously busy though so I will not be able to scare the wits out of myself this year.  I am going to add a page to this blog to explain my policy on reviewing so that I may filter out much of what I am receiving.  Scottish island mum is not about reviewing and promoting unless she feels a authentic and real connection with something.  I think that helps the integrity of the year long project so I hope everyone understands that. 

This weekend has been about clearing the decks of little jobs that needed attention so I feel a bit more able to approach the last few days before the launch of One soul many hearts.  I have set up a subscription option where you can fill in your email address.  This will enable you to keep up with all the latest news through a regular newsletter.  I am hoping to include some little competitions via the newsletter and some giveaways so if you haven't subscribed to the newsletter click on the link to the site and look to the sidebar on the home page for the sign up box.  I am anticipating being able to send out the first newsletter within the first week of the launch of the site. 


I have managed to watch the Grand Prix today and also watched Strictly Come Dancing last night.  I have lots of views on both.  I spent many hours watching the Grand Prix with my late father who knew a lot about the sport so I have carried that forward.  In a previous life I was a successful ballroom dancer so I have even more to say on that show.  The hairy biker dancing is completely priceless and every Saturday night should have one.  I also love watching Vanessa Feltz find an amazing connection with dance so good for her. 

I do hope that you have all had a lovely weekend and that your week ahead is full of things to look forward to. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment