Monday 24 June 2013

Day 175 - Such a child!

Monday 24th June

When the sun shines we sparkle and we are sparkling today.  The light bouncing off the sea never fails to captivate me and transport me to a different place.  I have to tear myself away otherwise I would never get anything done.  The ebb and flow of the tide always reminds me that all will be well.  I have a couple of friends facing really challenging times and I somehow need to learn how to bottle that feeling so that I can pass it on.  I will need to work on that. 


The ups and downs of my day ebbed and flowed mainly centred on the development of my new site.  However, I need to confess......I might have got a little distracted by discovering Deviantart.  I am sure you are all way ahead of me on this one but I got ridiculously excited over it and felt like a child in a sweet shop.  I played around with it for ages and then set up my own account.  I might not have an important looking camera but some of my shots are half decent and can stand alongside some of the ones on the site.  I can see a lot of photo editing at work on the site but for me the simple shot of nature often speaks more.  I am starting to mess about with digital art so it will give me a place to share and get feedback.  I also posted some of my silk work so I was a busy little bee.  If I am honest I have far too much to do to be playing around with a new site so I will now be playing catch up until I leave the island on the early ferry on Wednesday. 

If that was one of my highs the universe sent me sprawling downwards as I attempted to get to grips with creating a banner ad for my new site One soul, many hearts.  Don't you just love these sites that tell you that you can complete the task in 60 seconds and two hours later you are still at it?  You can see my new banner that I have created as an example in the sidebar of my new site.  It is far from good but it works and I have a handle on the software so the next one should be easier.  That said, the intention is not for me to creating the ads at all.  This is, ideally, for others to do so that I can offer advert space on my blog.  I am not a fan of websites with too many banner ads and even less so if they have unrelated adverts included.  I want my new site to have space for relevant companies to advertise in the sure knowledge they will be in good company. 

I have resisted advertising on this blog as it wasn't really part of the purpose of the project.  However, now I have mastered the technology I will be offering a few advert slots in the style of the one on 'One soul, many hearts.'  If you are reading this and are interested do let me know.  I will be producing an advert/sponsorship page but in the meantime email me for a chat.  As I approach 15,000 very loyal page views I think the opportunity is a good one.  If you know of anyone who might be interested please pass on my details.  Hugely grateful.  xx

Before plunging into the banner ad sphere I continued to work on the structure of the site and if you haven't visited it lately you might want to take a wee look.  I think I am almost there for the overall structure and I am now able to concentrate on building copy.  This is my favourite part so far as I get to talk to some really interesting and talented people and work with them to create writing or an image with maximum impact.  I think my promise of a light editorial touch has appealed to people as they are perhaps new to sharing their work.  I have cast the net out a little more today and have an evening of responding to emails ahead of me.  I am trying to avoid a UK centric site so if you are reading this from beyond our shores and have an idea for a contribution I would be delighted to hear from you.  I know from my analytics that this blog is read in countries from every continent so I know you are out there!! I have also sent out a first call for creative writing contributions - check the site for more details. 

Wimbledon is underway so I am dashing into the other room as Nadal looks in a very precarious position.  The joy of the first round dramas.  Tie break now so George is shouting at the telly and all is well in Doubleday land.   We do love our sport and the boys are playing tennis in the morning all fired up.  Sadly, despite my intentions I am not able to play yet so I will be off for a walk with my camera while resisting the temptation to go anywhere near Deviantart. 

What is clear is that my intention to move my professional life online is beginning to take shape and I can see how this might work.  That said, I can also see how much start up work is involved but my parents taught me never to be afraid of hard work.  Bless them!

So, lots achieved and even more still to do in what will be a demanding week.  Important for me to remember that I will get to everything in time and, more importantly, I will be in Portsmouth by Wednesday afternoon.  That is the most important thing of all. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment