Monday 3 June 2013

Day 154 - The responsibility is not lost on me...xx

Monday 3rd June

Muggy is how I would describe the weather on the island today.  It is warm but there is a distinct lack of sunshine.  It is almost 5pm and I have no idea where the day has gone.  I am up and about but I am not sure I am achieving very much.  That said, Molly and I endured the joys of upgrading my mobile phone and applying for her student finance for her year 3 studies.  I can not understand while these things are so complicated.  I am not the calmest person in this world of online applications but Molly kept a firm grip on proceedings and we achieved our aims. 

We did then feel like a small reward so off we plodded to Coast for a coffee and a rather large piece of carrot cake.  Feeling much better we then went in search of binoculars as tomorrow is 'pilot study' day for Molly's dissertation. 

We are off to Brodick pier in the hope of spotting black guillemots which are the focus of her study.  I feel a bit of a drama coming on if they are absent!  We are to be trained as research assistants so that we can do the observations on Arran while Molly is doing the same on the Isle of Eigg.  The responsibility is not lost on me so I have already passed that over to George. 

As is our Molly she has already had her research plan approved by her tutor and will complete the pilot study in the next few days.  There are no flies on our daughter - thankfully.  Now all we need is the birds to play ball and we are off and running.  If not I think she has a plan B.  Scientists always have a plan B don't they?  It is amazing that she is at this stage of her university career so quickly.  If you ever needed persuading to live in the moment this would be it.  Her university career is charging on and she knows to make the most of her final year.  There is every chance that her dissertation will draw some interest as there has not been much research done on Eigg so I am hopeful of a publication for her out of it.  This will really set her up well for her first job. 

Molly will be applying for a masters degree place and internships both at the same time.

Slight pause to watch a submarine going by in the bay!

She has not chosen an easy career path as jobs are a little like gold dust but she s quite determined so I am sure opportunities will present themselves.  It is an exciting time for her and she deserves all the success she will, no doubt, get.  Studying A levels through a distance learning college is not an easy route and she worked so hard that she is now enjoying the rewards of those efforts.  Her hard work in her degree studies will, hopefully, achieve similar rewards. 

Harry is also doing really well in his horticultural job and managing to study as well.  Today we moved onto the muscle system and he is strong in that area so we are moving through quickly.  Harry's boss seems really pleased with his work ethic and his knowledge and skill levels.  All those years of growing his own food has really come in useful for him.  I think he still sees it as a source of income rather than a career because his heart is in the fitness industry but you never know....

In essence today has been a 'mummy' day when I have just responded to the various needs of the children but there are days like that.  The smallholding has to manage for the odd day by itself while I sort things out with the children. 

True to my word though I have begun the research for using calendula in healing skin creams and if you are interested check out my Pinterest board.  I am not sure how I have got so many followers on my Pinterest account except to say that I do use it all the time.  I have also began my early designs for the Christmas 2013 which should wake us all up.  Christmas is, by far, our busiest time for the gifts we make using the resources from the smallholding.  This year could well be our first willow year. 

So, a day of lots of little things keeping me out of trouble.  Lots of boxes ticked and feeling like my life is back under my control.  Don't worry it won't stay like that for long!

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment