Friday 14 June 2013

Day 165 - We have a date, we have a plan. xx

Friday 14th June

What a beautiful day on the island.  The winds are up a bit but the sun is shining so all is well with the world.  After a busy few weeks I have taken today to relax a bit and spend some time with friends.  These things are necessary for the soul. 

The boys carried on with their design for their wildlife park and rescue centre but were hit with a bit of a blow this morning.  Apparently another organisation has put in a planning application for a similar enterprise so the planners have asked both parties so write a letter outlining what is unique about their plans.  Role play has been used in education time and time again and we bring it in often to home school.  The boys just smile and set about the task. 

Perhaps the best example of this was quite a few years back following a two month study of World War 2.  We decided to do an immersion week where we went into role for the entire week.  The children played the parts of city children being evacuated to the countryside.  I began as the billeting officer and pretended to take a request from a lady for children to join a farm.  The problem was she could only take three and there are four of them.  From that second the children all huddled together desperately trying to stay together.  Eventually the famer’s wife was persuaded to take all four and they joined their new home.  Pete was at work but with strict instructions to go into role as he came home and was introduced to his new charges.  Their new home was very different with lots of chores to do.  We spent the whole week in role including building a bomb shelter in the garage.  On a regular basis the air raid siren would sound and we had to get into the shelter as quickly as possible.  On every occasion our collie dog was in first! 

Towards the end of the week we sounded the siren in the middle of the night.  We had thought that Harry would be first out closely followed by the other boys but we weren’t convinced Molly would go for this.  The siren sounded and the first door open was Molly’s as she came charging out of her bedroom heading for the garage.  George and Max were close behind and then, finally, Harry!  We did laugh.  We then spent the next hour in the shelter singing songs trying to keep everyone awake.  The next morning Max had no memory of it!  Immersion teaching at its best, me thinks!

We ended the week with a VE party and I remember talking to Harry.  He said that he was happy the week was over because he had found the rationing really challenging.  But he was also sad that it was over and that it was the end of our studies of the Second World War.  He wondered if people felt a bit of sadness back in the day and I remember thinking how successful this project had been to provoke such a reaction.   It remains the very best thing we ever did in home school and will live with us all forever. 

Lunch, today, was at Coast in the village with my lovely friend Angie.  A bit of a working lunch as we are joining forces on a couple of larger events on the island over the next few months.  Angie makes the most beautiful things, especially her cushions and you can see her work on her facebook page, Sugar and Spice.  Lots of planning, a fair amount of giggling and some eating later and we have the start of something.  Lots more to share on this in due course. 

Once I got into planning mode poor Mark, one of the owners of Coast, was dragged into it as we set the date for the Butterfly Supper.  Coast will be hosting it and the date has been set of the 10th September.  We have a really good fun evening planned and a final chance to raise money for the Butterfly Tree charity.  I am keeping most of it a secret until the night but if you are local you so don’t want to miss this night.  Tickets will be £25.00 and that will include a welcome drink, a buffet supper and entertainment.  I am giggling as I write because I know more than you guys!  £5.00 from every ticket will go to the Butterfly Tree and that will buy one mosquito net that will save several lives.  There will also be a raffle with a difference.  Some of the prizes will be bespoke and I will say more on that after I have begged a few people for some help.  

I can now start working on the design for the tickets and decorations for the venue.  This promises to be a very special night indeed.  I will announce here when tickets are available but I would recommend early purchase because there will only be 40 available.  On this night we will come together and do so much that is good that, I am sure, the experience will stay with us all for a very long time.  I will have to put my thinking cap on for how we shall mark the end of the campaign with our virtual supporters…….watch this space. 

On the subject of the Butterfly Tree I saw the finished film yesterday evening from the opening tea party.  Mollie has been busy on this while trying to finish her school career.  I want to watch it again over the weekend so that I can give it some context but look out for link soon.  It is a story that shares some very powerful and thought provoking messages. 

We are reaching frenzy time on Hazelbank with all the bird song.  Baby birds calling for their parents and young birds fledging.  The soundscape is truly amazing and I feel blessed to be able to sit in my studio and hear it. What a lovely time of year.  I have a very dear friend visiting next week and she is an animal communicator and healer so we shall be off round the island in search of wildlife to stop and stare at. 

I like a good Friday and this has been a good Friday.  I have already received some incredibly positive feedback from people studying my Meditation through Writing course and I wasn’t expecting that so soon.  I am excited about where that work is going to take me over the coming months.  A walk back home after lunch allowed me to do a walk with meditation……here we go again…….I really need to stop thinking.  If you have time watch the little VT from Youtube. 

Until tomorrow.  xx 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment