Tuesday 4 June 2013

Day 155 - They didn't make the cut.


Tuesday 4th June

When the sun shines the island sparkles like the gem we all know it to be.  The glinting sea ripples along the shore and the people sit on benches to watch.  We sat on benches and rocks today looking at black guillemots and it seemed a sensible thing to do.  We identified a pair who were obviously feeding young but the nest was out of sight.  A single pair will not suffice for a dissertation so I am sorry to say they didn’t make the cut. 
 
Scientists do, indeed, have a plan B and I am delighted to inform you all that the oystercatchers have now taken centre stage.  I love wading birds and oystercatchers are my absolute favourite.  A further blessing is that numerous pairs frequent the beach just down the hill from the smallholding making data collecting much easier.  I love the flight paths of the oystercatchers once they deem us humans too close.  They glide in an arc out to sea and back in to a bit of the beach free from annoying interruptions.  As a family we are about to learn a whole lot more about this little waders.  Molly has gone off in search of them before slicing the beach into zones for data collection and then we are on!  She will do the same on the Isle of Eigg. 
 
Oystercatchers are on the RSPB amber list so although not as endangered as the black guillemot all research is important at this stage. 

I am in my studio on my day bed having watered in the tunnel but then been driven out by the heat.  A little bit of sunshine appears to go along way in the tunnel and we know have our very first embryonic sweet pea flowers.  Meaning delicate pleasures, they are my absolute favourite flower.  I am growing two different varieties this year.  I always grow the old fashioned Spencer variety but this year I am also growing Mammoth variety as well.  If I jig at normal size blooms what will I do when these giants flower.  We also have our first flower on our dwarf sunflowers and baby green strawberries bobbing about in the breeze.  The livingston daisies and the petunias have gone mental and I expect they will see well as a result. 
 

 
There is always a blurring of the edges in home school and today Max wanted us to walk the smallholding for new signs of growth.  Camera and scissors in hand off we went to see what he had seen yesterday.  The woodland bluebells are now in their full glory alongside vetch and campions.  The smell was incredibly evocative and I just sat down and enjoyed the meadow for a while.  I am hopeless at wild grasses but I can tell you there were lots of them.  The complete delight that is hawthorn blossom wove its magic wand on the edges of the meadow and I wish I could have stopped time.  Eventually I remembered that I had lots to do and got up to pick meadow buttercups and cow parsley for the house.  So, thank you Max for our little jolly into the meadow as it was truly memorable. 

I could do with being a bit more systematic about my recordings on Hazelbank so I have decided to use my daily blog next year to do just that.  Entitled ‘A year with MotherNature’ this blog will replace this one in 2014 as I take the year to concentrate on developing my relationship with her.  Thus, I can use of that blog to record the plant species on the smallholding.  If I was truly organised I could also keep an art journal on the same subject matter but we shall have to see if time allows for that.  My art journal is a poor relative of mine as it always slides off the agenda but maybe giving it a focus will solve that problem. 
 
So, it has been a lovely day on the island and now the evening will involve sewing bits and pieces to sell for the Butterfly tree charity at the weekend. I am feeling that all of the UK is enjoying this weather and I do hope so.  Enjoy your sunshine and watch out for beautiful wildflowers on your journeys. 

Until tomorrow.  xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment