Thursday 13 June 2013

Day 164 - we have something to celebrate.

Thursday 13th June

I am hiding in my studio before anyone else needs me.  A day sorting out lots of small problems so the sanctuary of my beloved studio is a real must.  How I coped for so many years without it I will never know. 

We did have fun in home school today.  I am relying on Molly being too busy at the moment to read this post.  The boys have begun a new design project and this time it is a wildlife park and rescue centre.  Molly is currently on placement at one so we have decided to pitch our knowledge against hers.  All the children have a huge pool of knowledge to draw on when it comes to wildlife.  We are a very wildlife friendly family.  Molly is, of course, the guiding expert but we thought we might stand a chance if we worked together.  We shall certainly give it our best shot.  Early signs are that the boys were paying attention each and every time we have visited a wildlife park and they have quite strong opinions about how things should be done.  I was so pleased to see them weaving sustainability and conservation into almost every decision they made.  When young people demonstrate these things it does give us all some hope for the future. 

Speaking of young people we need a virtual group yell of ‘Congratulations’ to my gorgeous niece, Helen, who has just found out she has a 2:1 degree in business and marketing from Stirling university.  It has been a testing four years for her but she kept her head down and deserves her success.  We are all so incredibly proud – well done lovely girl. Xx

Let us extend this celebratory feeling into my polytunnel because look what it has produced.  It may be a small bunch but it is a lovely bunch and the smell is beyond words.  Sweet peas are my favourite flower and think if I ever stopped growing them I would be sad.  We are really into the swing of the cut flower season at Hazelbank and have found a new outlet in the village.  Bay News and Gift shop will be taking flower orders as of next week as well as us offering them direct from the smallholding. Working with cut flowers is my therapy and so I am feeling very good about this decision. 

 
 
This living vase arrangement was created especially for Helen today and I loved being able to wonder the land cutting as I went.  It was a real tonic after the stress of a burst mains water pipe which is now fixed, mainly thanks to Pete.  Pete has suddenly become a busy little bee as orders are coming in for his skills will pallets!  How much do you love that?  I don’t want him to get too complacent though so I showed a picture of my next idea last night and that will allow for some scratch heading for a few days. 

 
 
 
So lots happening on Hazelbank and all with some lovely sunshine thrown in.  We are at the time of year where there are not enough hours in the day but I am not sure we would have it any other way. 

 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment