Thursday 20 June 2013

Day 171 - Restored with your help. xx

Thursday 20th June

Firstly, and importantly, thank you so much for all the messages of support over my hissy fit over the cutting down of all the wildflowers yesterday.  I did think some of you might think me a little foolish but so many of you took the time to email me to encourage me in this little fight of mine that I felt quite restored.  More than that many of you are prepared to help and are now planting wildflowers in your gardens and that is the very best of news.  I am recharged and will, indeed, contact the National Trust of Scotland and see what they have to say.  I am expecting them to defend their actions by diverting me towards the wildlife garden at the other end of the Castle grounds.  Of course, if they do they have rather missed the point.  But let us see if they reply and what they say.  I will 'keep you in the loop.'

Annie and I have had a lovely series of days enjoyed in full sunshine and today was no different.  Annie is an animal communicator and healer and her work is utterly fascinating.  She kindly took a session with George and Max while Pete and I went to collect our girl from the ferry.  It is so lovely to have Molly home for a few days before she does a little trip back to Lincoln to spend time with her man.  Then we have her back for another two days before she takes off for the Isle of Eigg to take up the post of assistant warden.  Regular readers will know that she will be there for a month and I am joining her for the final week as I am writing an article on a project the islanders are running.  I am not always successful with independent travel now so I am keeping everything crossed that I am fit to go.  Strictly between you and me....I am going anyway!!


Annie has fallen so in love with the island that she is considering a move here.  Her house in Derbyshire is already on the market so we shall see.  Arran is not right for everyone but I can see Annie being very happy here.  Today we went across the Ross road today which cuts across the bottom third of the island and allows us to take in the south end.  It was as we approached Kildonan that Annie started getting very excited.  I can see Annie here and I think she could too.  It was time to pull off the road and get a cold drink and soak up the view. 


A gentle, warm breeze washed over us and it was another example where we could have stopped time.  Sitting there looking out to sea you get that feeling that this is what life is really about.  The light glinting off the sea takes you to a different place and time and I love that feeling of inner peace.  We did, indeed, lose time and scrambled off to find a house we had seen for sale before heading back to Whiting Bay.

Annie asked me today what were the disadvantages of living on Arran and I could only think of the midges.  They are not always present and not always a problem but I struggle more than most because I am a grower and therefore outside a lot.  I also have a reaction to their bites which makes life a little challenging as well.  I am always trying new things to try and deter them and I never give up hope.  Other issues were teased out of me especially anxiety when Molly is travelling home and we are unsure whether the ferry will sail due to high winds.  But, in all honesty, I struggled with Annie's question.  For me island living is a little haven and a great place for our children to grow up.  It brings me joy on a daily basis and it is where I call home.  I feel completely connected to the natural world here and yet I can operate my professional life with a little help from the Internet.  I can be in the centre of Glasgow in less than two hours where there are more shops, galleries and restaurants than I could count and then I get the ferry home again.  I know of worse commutes than that. 


It is often when you are sharing where you live with visitors that you realise just how lucky you are.  But I am not sure I even needed that because I count my blessings on a daily basis. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment