Saturday 28 December 2013

Day 362 - little box of sunshine. xx

Saturday 28th December

It is all calm and quiet on the island after the recent storms and it seems quite alien.  There are a lot of repairs being tackled before the next storm is due and life seems to be getting back to normal after Christmas.  January is one of my favourite months of the year as it is the time when I get organised for my year ahead.  I try not to have too many expectations for the month and let the planning happen as organically as possible.  This year I am using one of Waverly Fitzgerald's ebooks to help with my thinking because 2014 promises to be such an important year.  Waverly is so good at asking the right questions at the right time and sometimes we all need an outside perspective.  January is the month for new journals with virgin pages just begging to be filled.  It is also the time when I start to make some decisions about what to grow for the coming season.  With 'With Love from Arran' already blessed with completed designs I am thinking January might just be possible this year.  My etsy shop is almost ready to open as well as I begin a more conscious effort to get my craft work online. 

At the eleventh hour of this remarkable project I get a whole flurry of emails full of concerns over the end of this blog.  I love that so many of you have a ritual of settling down with a cup of tea to read Scottish island mum and I feel sad that this ritual will be over.  I still think that it is amazing that I have managed to blog every day for a year and that I have so many loyal readers.  But I believe it is time to move forward and for Scottish island mum to become a bit more focused and the new site promises to do just that.  She is gently waking in a small corner of the world wide web and beginning to take a form that I think will work for 2014.  I would like Scottish island mum to go through a shedding exercise annually so that she can stay fresh and relevant.  I also want the new site to re-establish a dialogue with its readers as well as seeking out new readers.  I am planning for the current site to stay up as an archive and will put the link to the new site on here once it is ready.  If you want to keep up with developments during her dark time you will need to hit the 'like' button on the facebook page. 

Readers of the facebook page will also witness my 30 day rewilding fitness challenge in all its glory.  It would be lovely if the reach of the new Scottish island mum could be extended once she is back online so any sharing by you guys will be greatly appreciated. 


I have agreed to take on a 365 challenge for 2014 and that focuses on my gifts of seasonal kindness project that I have mentioned before.  The idea behind the project is to consider and offer one act of kindness for each day of the year that reflects the changes in seasons.  Research for this project is already quite advanced and the hope is that the 2014 blog will feed into a book to be published in 2015.   I have used tumblr for this project because I think this platform suits shorter blog posts and the technology runs well on mobile devices.  If you want to join me on this challenge visit the Seasonal Kindness blog and hit the 'follow' button on the top right part of the screen. 

I have a developing view of this global wave of kindness that is known as random acts of kindness.  I think there is definitely a place for these random acts and  I will be including examples in my blog.  But I also believe there is more space for considered acts of kindness towards people we know.  I am sure we all know people that are having a difficult time and sometimes these people are harder to offer kindness to than complete strangers.  If we know the person it is likely that we can anticipate their reaction and, thus, more considered thought is required.  I am running several projects of kindness next year with  the view to evaluating them at the end of the year.  The little birthday box  is the simplest and, I think, less problematic than the others.  This is about replacing birthday gifts with small postal boxes full of little things that make a birthday special.  The idea is that I will send some of these boxes to people who might not expect a gift from me and I see that as an important part of the year in which I turn 50. 

The goodwill box is another scheme that I will run through One soul many hearts and Scottish island mum.  These are boxes that are sent to individuals and families who just need a little lift in life.  These boxes aim to show people that other people care and want to do something to help.  The final scheme is my little box of sunshine and these are very much geared at individuals who are finding life tough and are also struggling to focus on the good things in life.  I find myself surrounded by people who suffer from depression and I consider myself very fortunate that I have never experienced this very complex illness.  I know that receiving a little box of sunshine is not the cure for depression but it might just let these people know that someone cares and that, in itself, might trigger some progress. 

Some of you are asking me if you can help with these schemes and you just know the answer will be yes!  If you have any unwanted Christmas gifts that are inexpensive to post I will gladly take them for use in one or other of the schemes.  I am also looking for yellow things for my little box of sunshine and preferably handmade items.  Simple things like knitted egg cosies or fabric hearts or even yellow card printed with uplifting messages. It really doesn't have to be much and everything that is offered is truly welcomed.  I have started a Pinterest board of yellow things that would be appropriate if that helps.  If any of you want to join in the Goodwill box or the little box of sunshine scheme I will have some printables to share and then you can get underway.  I will then be able to speak to you regularly through the year to see how your schemes are running.  All the schemes will then be evaluated at the end of the year as part of my book research.  I think it is an exciting project that possibly asks as many questions as it answers but, I hope, makes a genuine difference to other people who need a little extra support. 

Being kind is not as easy as we all think it is going to be.  It is riddled with potholes to fall into when there are good intentions but the acts have not been thought through well enough.  I am an example of someone who does not receive kindness easily.  It provokes very strong emotions and I would much rather give than receive kindness.  There are also people out there who are very proud and I call them Mr Perks from the Railway Children.  The key to a successful kind act is enhanced sensitivity and empathy or, at the very least, informed sympathy.  Matching the act with the person is also a consideration as is the timing of the act.  So, there is a lot of work to be done if I am to produce a book that is truly useful in moving this natural swell in kindness on to a place where there is a much greater chance of success.  I also want the book to be full of practical acts of kindness that benefit others, ourselves and the planet we live on.  Do get in touch if you would like to help in anyway and don't forget to follow the Seasonal Kindness blog

So, there is a lot our little community of Scottish island mum followers can do while the main site is dark.  Meantime, I will be writing away on the new site and hoping that you all approve when it is live.  I am feeling the weight of this responsibility but I have listened to all your feedback and that has helped shape my thinking.  It is an exciting time for Scottish island mum and I am quite sure I owe that entirely to you guys.....

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment