Monday 16 December 2013

Day 350 - my golden rules. xx

Monday 16th December

We are very much feeling that this is the calm before the storm as it has been a beautiful day on the island.  It seemed like we were all out and about making the most of the weather and also getting jobs done in our preparations for Christmas.  The rest of the week looks very bleak indeed so I am thinking we are a wise bunch on the island.  I have stopped all mail order now and I see that a number of other people have as well.  I can't guarantee things will get off the island on time and I do hate to let customers down.  We have a good run up to Christmas this year and I am delighted with sales.  I still have a few bits left in one of the shops on the island but that is it for this year.  I am working up my product range for 2014 and have started my Pinterest Board.  It is always such an exciting time of year when I have a whole new year ahead of me.  I am going to re-open my etsy shop next year selling our willow products, herbal gifts and wedding favours.  2013 was just too busy to get it open but I am already ahead for 2014 so I am more hopeful. 

My pre-Christmas tasks are well underway with all my postal gifts and cards sent and a couple of Christmas elf tasks completed as well.  I have had a flurry of emails asking me about my elf tasks and I would recommend this idea to everyone.  It is easy.  Think of someone who has had a difficult time lately or someone that just needs a lift and make or buy a simple Christmas gift and leave it somewhere for them to find.  Next year I am branding this process with luggage labels with green elves printed on them but I thought of that touch too late this year.  I think it is a lovely thing to do because Christmas is not always a happy time for everyone.  For some it is a very difficult time so anything we can do to lift them will, I am sure, be greatly appreciated. 

Along with these emails have been another little flurry about my 37 gifts of kindness asking if I might extend this work.  I had actually already started to extend this work and am in the process of collating gifts of kindness with the hope that I will get 365.  I would like to publish a book containing one gift of kindness for every day of the year.  It is not the intention that we all do something every day because I doubt that would be possible.  The emphasis is on creating seasonal gifts of kindness so that if you feel motivated to do something you can turn to the current day for inspiration.  If any of you have any ideas do send them through and I will try and include them.   There is a culture of random acts of kindness that I think is spreading around the world.  There are daily examples popping up on Facebook and Twitter.  Some demand quite a bit of effort while others require only the slightest effort.  It is, however, all in the thinking.  I am back to my Atticus Finch reference from 'To Kill a Mocking bird'.  It is really important to try and see the world how others see it before deciding whether a gift of kindness is appropriate.  I know a number of people who assume too much far too quickly and then their gift of kindness falls flat.  The preface of the book will offer a small grappling with the concept of kindness in the hope that we all might reflect a little before we act.  I have got it wrong in the past and have regretted that.  I might have had the best intentions but my lack of reflection made the choice of gift inappropriate.  There is also a timing issues.  I watch people very closely as it helps me choose the best time to offer my gift.  They have to be ready to receive and that is not straightforward.  If we rush in with our gift we may cause unintentional upset. 

 
Whether you want to become a green elf at Christmas, send a goodwill box or just offer a random gift of kindness it does require sensitivity of the highest order.  It is very easy to offend.  Those of us that have watched the Railway Children and the scene with Mr Perks will know exactly what I am talking about.  So, although I am all for a growing culture of kindness in the world it does, I feel, come with some cautionary notes. 

Never ever assume you know what others are thinking or what is best for them.  Always spend some thoughtful reflection on HOW to help and WHEN.  These are my golden rules and I would be lost without them. 

I have one more green elf task to perform and it is for someone who, I believe, has shown bravery at a very testing time and, thus, set the rest of us a fabulous example.  I just need to give this one a bit more thought before putting something together and then I can hang up my elf shoes for another year.  It was my turn to receive thoughtful gifts today as some of the charities I work for sent me little thank you gifts.  They were not necessary but I am, of course, very grateful.  I know a lot of you have joined me this year on my eternal charity projects for which I am incredibly grateful. 

It has been quite a year. Blessings to you all.

Until tomorrow.  xx


No comments:

Post a Comment