Thursday 12 December 2013

Day 346 - Am I about to be very unpopular? xx

Thursday 12th December

It is to be a good end to this day as I rush to blog before collecting Molly from the ferry.  She is on the ferry having made all her connections and our lovely family will soon be reunited.  George is doing a little better but I fear he has a tough road back to full health so we are keeping a very close eye on him.


Last night and over night my inbox lit up like a Christmas tree with lots of messages about my emerging concept 'soul walking.'  The thing about writing a responsive blog, that is essentially a dialogue with your readers, is that you do some of your thinking in the public domain.  Much of that thinking is influenced by feedback and this growing concept of soul walking is an excellent example. 

It is fair to say that my journey in recent years has been well researched and reflected upon and this has brought me to the point I am at now.  Many of you have asked for me to elaborate on that journey but I fear that may be the subject of an entirely new blog.  It has been a journey that has shone lights on so many parts of my life that it would take a long time to put into words that would be readable.  Some of you went a stage further and asked if I offered courses in 'soul walking,'  The answer to that is clearly no as I have only just arrived at this point in the last few days.  That said the journey has been one of the most engaging experiences of my life and it would translate well into a course.  I can honestly say that I am the happiest I have ever been in life and that is due to my own soul walking journey. 

As always I am eternally grateful for all your feedback and will do my best to reflect further and use the natural momentum that has been established. 

Earlier today I received two emails.  One was on behalf of the Scottish Government concerning a new play read scheme that they would like me to review.  I have had a quick look and I quite like it so I will be posting a review tomorrow.  The other was from the Scottish government as part of the Scotland Glow network which links educationalist in Scotland and ensures an on going and productive dialogue.  This just reminds me that I never really know who is reading my blog.  I have been asked for my views on a range of educational topics including the relatively new Curriculum for Excellence, early years schooling and employability skills in further and higher education.  There is a lot to respond to here and it rather serves me right for getting on my soapbox about education.  That said when we fall out of the top 20 list of excellence in education in the world we do have to start facing facts.  We are getting something horribly wrong. 

So, of course Scottish island mum does indeed have a view and yes I am available to attend conferences and offer up presentations.  That said, I am not exactly sure where I will fit all this in but I do feel that it is time I focused more on education.  The work I do with International charities is usually in the education field and I do have an intention of finally writing my book on what makes good education.  Perhaps with some careful management I can weave it all together. 

So, this is the first call for feedback from readers about their experiences of education.  You may be a parent, a teacher or even a pupil but I want to hear from everyone.  I don't want to just focus on what doesn't work as I am also interested on what you think does work.  I am also interested on suggestions for change. 

I am off to get my girl from the ferry but you just know that I will be starting with early years provision......I did ask whether they really want my views and I was told that they have a place in the on going debate.  Oh dear, I do hope they have thought this through.....

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment