Monday 2 December 2013

Day 336 - As we were. xx

Monday 2nd December

As another busy day tips into the evening I did think this week would be quieter but we appear to be continuing as we were.  I shouldn't really grumble because that mean we are selling ahead of targets and that is always pleasing.  It is particularly pleasing when you have introduced a whole new venture into the mix.  I spent some time posting out orders and also delivering some by hand today before stocking Bay News and Gifts with our range.  It is only now that I can see where the gaps are before my final sale of the season on Saturday.  Unsurprisingly it is the candles that have kept company with the wreaths so they will have to be my priority. 

I am desperate to get on with my handmade pressies for family and friends.  This is what makes Christmas special for me.  It has become a bit of a family tradition for mum to spend endless days at her work desk making presents and cards and drinking ginger wine.  I can this all being a bit last minute this year but I do have a Pinterest board ready and waiting with some lovely ideas on it.

I can confirm that we are changing the name of our willow business from whimsical wreaths to whimsical willow and planning in now underway for an integrated business web presence which will  include Buds and Blooms as well.  I have begun a Pinterest board for Buds and Blooms so that our style is clear from the start.  The integration of the willow into this side of the business is, perhaps, the mot exciting aspect.  I am currently designing a small collection of products suitable for funerals and graves with all parts being biodegradable.  This idea was presented to me by a customer on Saturday and I have a feeling that I am going to find this work humbling and inspiring at the same time.  I also want to develop some mail order products made from willow that can easily be added to by, for example, the bride's helpers so that they can be used as pew ends or table  backs.  That way they can add the fresh material at their end and once the wedding is over and the fresh material has died they can strip it back to the willow and use as bases for gifts or decorations for their home.  It is all about reinventing the model of floristry that we have in this country.  When we did wedding flowers in Derbyshire most of our brides got involved in some way with their flowers and we even ran courses so that some to get even more involved.  I think the model where everything comes from the florist is outdated and in need of a make over.  There is also a huge amount of waste from the florist industry and we want to avoid that as well. 


January is going to be busy with lots of work online to get this all established before launching an island based marketing campaign by the end of the month.  At the same time I am migrating Scottish island mum to its new home so I think the Christmas break will be a bit shorter than normal.  We are fortunate that we have so much control over our working weeks as this allows for  quite a bit of flexibility.  The boys will be helping Pete will the preparation for the willow planting in February and they really have their work cut out. 

We have launched our 'Enchanting' theme for December on One soul many hearts and we were delighted that Molly's first piece led the way.  I mentioned this before but you can now all reead it by clicking on the LINK. 

I have jut seen a couple more orders ping into my inbox so I am off to investigate what they are while trying to remain completely calm. 

Before that I want to beg a small favour.  You were all introduced to Megan back in July when she shared her stunning art work with us.  Megan is incredibly special to me but right now she is in hospital fighting to get control of her asthma.  I would love it if we could all keep her in our thoughts.  xx

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment