Sunday 22 December 2013

Day 356 - she likes to sit in the shower. xx

Sunday 22nd December

At last I have created my inner sanctuary.  I know I have the joy of a studio tucked away in a woodland glade and I should just be thankful for that but I have always had the inkling to create and inner sanctuary.  All too often our bedroom becomes the overflow car park for all my making stuff and stock, well not anymore it doesn't.  Today my bedroom fought back and after far too many hours and a little bit of gentle swearing I now have an inner sanctuary when I can disappear to on cold evenings.  Outside the room is a rather large box full of things for the local charity shops and my slimed down bedroom is all puffed up.  Pete will hate it because there is pink poking out of every corner but I am feeling like pink is my new purple.  I am not normally very girly but I think I got a bit carried away. 

The only books that survived the cull are those that offer uplifting reading in one form or another.  My perfectly formed book shelves move between the wonderful work of Hannah Frank, through to Dakini Power and finally rest at Peter Rabbit.  I would say that is a job worth done.  My Edwardian writing desk that I bought in my 20s has been dusted down and placed in the bay window with a view down to the sea.  A fresh journal for 2014 is sitting there with it's pencil waiting for January 1st to come around and I have one of Angie's cushions all ready to assist in some comfort as the writing begins.  January is to be my month of writing so it was a timely intervention to create a space where I have a view to the sea.  I am anticipating quite a lot of internal battles in my writing during that month and a quick gaze at the sea usually pulls me round. 

In yet another slimming down of my personal possessions I can see much more clearly what is important to me.  I have spent 2013 culling so much of myself in an attempt to strip life back to what is important.  My recent work with international charities makes me stop and stare at my house and all the things in it and wonderful whether new homes, that are more deserving, need to be found.  My capsule wardrobe experience that many of you will remember from earlier in the year works just fine especially when I am on the island.  It is a bit more tricky when I enter the other world but I have managed somehow and will continue to do so.  Apart from replacing a few worn out items I have not bought any clothes in 2013 and that feels pretty good. 

I had also culled my books earlier in the year and have not regretted that either.  I do need to do the same with my ibooks but that is for another day.  Any jewellery that was precious has already been handed down to Molly so I am really starting to feel like a lean mean fighting machine.  If Pete and I are to successfully downsize in the future we will be grateful for all this letting go of things.  The trick now is not to start acquiring new things. 

Max is doing much better and thank you very much for all the kind messages.  He will be right side up for Christmas and now I have everything crossed that no one else gets it.  Donna will be really touched when she hears how many people have messaged to wish her well.  It is the dreaded gallstones I am afraid and we are just waiting on a decision on treatment.  What a year she has had and it has reminded me about the importance of good health. 

Pete and I will be starting our rewilding fitness programme on the 1st January which includes a plant based diet.  I am already having withdrawal symptoms about some the foods that will be excluded.   I do love a challenge so there will be no cheating from me but I will probably have to set up CCTV at Pete's work to monitor his progress.  He reads my blog so that he knows what is going on in my head and will be smiling now......am I right Pete? 


So, as the big day approaches calm is being restored in the house and I am hoping that is enough excitement for a while.  Once Donna is treated and home all will be well in Scottish island mum land and we can get on with enjoying Christmas.  I am not sure Christmas and my cat, Mimi, are the best combination and we are already having to change certain traditions as this will be her first Christmas with us.  I am enjoying Mimi continuing to impress her personality on the world.  Her latest preoccupation is truly wonderful.  In fear that I might leave her alone on the bed to have a shower in the morning she has taken to leaping ahead of me only to be found sitting in the shower.  No, I have not switched it on.....I felt you thinking that!  Mimi has the kind of personality that tells the world that she is more important than anyone or anything.  I secretly like that about her.  But then there was a moment the other day when I suddenly started crying (someone had said something incredibly kind to me) and she stopped in her tracks and spun round to look at my face before leaping onto my lap and brush her cheeks against mine.  That's my girl.
 


Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment