Wednesday 18 December 2013

Day 352 - my clock turns to 49. xx

Wednesday 18th December

As my own wee clock turns to 49 today I am completely overwhelmed by kind messages and now find myself in the position of having to use this blog to say thank you for fear that I will miss someone out.  I seem to have acquired an enormous amount of new friends during 2013 and everyone has been so kind to message me on my birthday.  I confess that I am not very good at receiving.  I am much more comfortable giving and I get very emotional receiving kindness.  The thought and care that my children have taken with my day is simply beyond words and it will take some time to sit with me.  I guess they are getting to an age when they want to say their own messages and I just wasn't ready for that.  When four hearts turn and beat as one towards you it is completely overwhelming but I will treasure that feeling the rest of my life. 
 

As the wind continues to batter our small island I am having a quiet day again so my family brought my birthday to me.  I have also had some time to respond to the many messages about my post yesterday about closing doors quietly.  2013 has seen me involved in so many projects and I always try to commit totally to everything I do.  If I am honest letting so much go all at once was tough   But I instinctively knew it to be necessary.  Earlier this yea,r I took a four week sabbatical to restore my health and I learnt so much from that experience.  It reminded me about what is important in life and it also reminded me that things can work perfectly fine without any contribution from me.  More than that though, as I think somethings work better once I have closed the door quietly. 

My lovely Tibetan teacher died this year but before he did he told me something very important in his last few days.  He told me that I had reached a stage in my life when I needed to start understanding my place.  He believed that my place is to set good things in motion but once they are running smoothly it is time for me to leave.  In this leaving I create new space to set up new things that need some attention.  I found this incredibly difficult to hear because I have not been good at walking away from anything.  Once I make a commitment I tend to stay put.  Over time he convinced me that that is not my calling.  He believed my place in this world is about seeing what needs to be done and then putting things in motion.  It is then for others to drive while I roll onto the next thing.  No matter which way you look at this it presents challenges and I have taken almost four months to digest it.  I had sensibly asked if this rolling forward meant closing the door on everything and everyone and his answer was interesting.  He said ' if I am to answer as a man I would say no but you need to keep your inner circle very small so you can give them what they might need.'  This seemed fair enough.  However, he then said 'if I am to answer as a buddhist monk I would say yes because I can see a place for you deep within the buddhist community where your reach could be much greater.'

You can imagine my reaction to that but I did understand the different positions.  If I apply his logic to Scottish island mum I can see how the reach can be extended while still retaining a small but very important inner circle.  My dharma over the last two years has led me to a place where helping others is the most important thing I do and I will always be grateful for those teachings.  But my life time involvement in education has given me something worth sharing and there comes my connection with my international charity work. 
 

Four months on and as my children brought my birthday to me in such a thoughtful and kind way I can finally make complete sense of his teachings.  I can tell you, quite honestly, that I even felt my teacher by my side as all the pieces of the puzzle made sense.  My role as a mother is my world and from that I can take the strength necessary to help others.  This may seem obvious to you but when you are wrapped up in so many projects those tangled strands serve to confuse the message.  So, I hope that people I have had to leave will understand that it is time for Scottish island mum to move forward and test my destiny as my buddhist teacher saw it.  Knowing me as you do it has occurred to me that he might be wrong so I am keeping a very close eye as I make some very radical changes to my life. 

I know from many of your messages that many of you believe in paths that cross but my dharma has convinced me of a different route.  My route is not about those momentary crosses but it is, I believe, about walking as lightly and quietly as possible in a straight line peppered with moments when I walk beside someone for a short while.  Call it soul walking with others.  But you just know that beside my water bottle in my rucksack are my family. 

 
Until tomorrow. Xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment