Wednesday 17 April 2013

Day 107 - a gentle day


Wednesday 17th April

Today was the funeral of Margaret Thatcher and I watched most of it on the TV.  I was relieved to see that protests seemed to be small and lacked impact.  A funeral is no place for such things and I think the British public knew that in their hearts.  I am a believer of free speech but I also believe there is a time and a place and this event was neither.  We do ceremony very well in this country and this was no exception.  I liked that it was a funeral service not a memorial and I think that fitted the person and the occasion.  Margaret Thatcher may have come from a different political perspective than mine but, as a woman, I did admire her self belief.  Above all, though I felt for the family who carried themselves with great dignity.

Molly and I took herself off to the cathedral after the service as that seemed appropriate.  I adore Lincoln cathedral and it has a special place in my heart.  I lit a candle as I always do for my beloved father and we just sat in silence for a while.  On this visit we even found the cafe and sat outside in the cloisters and all seemed well with the world.  To get to the cathedral requires a good walk up a very steep hill but there is a wonderful second hand book shop half way up.  I like to think that I rescue books that are a little past their best and unloved.  I buy them, take them home and love them.  I bought three for the grand sum of £7.00 and all three of them will be a delight, I am sure.  I finally now own a copy of Earth Pilgrim by Satish Kumar and that will inspire me forward I am sure.  His homage to the Earth sets him apart from most of us and I think there will be great learning to be had from immersing myself in his book.

Less known to me is the book entitled 'Teachings of Queen Kunti' but there lies the joy.  I love finding out about new things and any book with a chapter called 'The most intelligent woman' has my attention straight away.  Again a book about teachings and probably not ones I have come across before.  I can't see the point in continually reading stuff that confirms beliefs and values as it rarely moves me forward.  I like to be challenged and just reading the introduction in the shop was enough to know that this book will be just that.

The final book was rescued because I don't believe anyone else would rescue it.  Entitled 'Tranquil Moment' it is a book created by Kathleen Partridges that aims to share moments of reflection and reconnect us with the natural world.  This is not something that will challenge me but I bought it because it was near the other two.  That is my defence.

I would love to hear from you about books that you have found particularly engaging.  I have some people in my life who recommend books to me but not enough of these people.  I often pass my books on and never expect them back.  I always pass books on to people I believe will get something out of that book even if it as simple as enjoyment.  I then hope that the book is passed on again.  If you would like to join me on this little book thingy do let me know and we can swap addresses and chat.  I like to try and travel light in life but never achieve this but passing books on is one way of keeping it under control.

Lincoln is full of little shops once you get away from the Hight Street and Molly and I had a couple of hours exploring most of them.  We went into a charity shop with a difference run by a young woman who means retail business!  The upstairs has been converted into a wonderful vintage attic where I found two wonderful vintage postcards to add to my collection.  What was I saying about travelling light??  This charity shop has so set the standard on a street full of charity shops.  The rest will have to up their game if they are to compete.  I did see a tea set that I have seen at auction before.  It is easily worth £100 but they had it at £40.00.  Step away from the tea set Fiona.  I did step away.
So a gentle day with some time for reflection.  I do hope your days have been gentle too.

Until tomorrow. Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment