Saturday 2 February 2013

Day 33 - Come and meet my first guest!

Saturday 2nd February

I am delighted to introduce my first guest blogger. It was important to me to begin the guest blog feature with someone after my own heart. Angie is a mother, an islander and a craftworker. Her journey to where she is now is a familiar story to many of us. For me she is an inspiration. From hobby to small business in one simple step. Check out her facebook page and join in her journey by hitting the ‘like’ button. Arran is a place where dreams start to shape towards reality and Angie is well on her way. A very special lady indeed. Read her story…..


Now, at the age of 41 and a mum of two (7yrs and 7mnths), I am currently on maternity leave from work and creativity inside of me stirs. I don't know if I do it well as I can be a bit of a perfectionist, but I want and like to do it.
Always one to like 'nice' things, my first brush with fabric was as a toddler when my mum found me missing from her side and following a woman out of Mothercare stroking her fur coat!

I did all the usual girly things whilst growing up - flower pressing, scrap collecting, knitting and even spinning but I suppose my first real encounter with a sewing machine was at High School in Mrs Barclay's Home Economics class. We were to make a gingham tidy, you know the sort of thing a hanger with pockets - but oh no, not me. Much to Mrs Barclay's delight I had to go one (perhaps two) steps better. My Clown Tidy was an eventual success.
Throughout the years I have wandered aimlessly through the craft world not settling on any one particular thing - I want to try it all. My loft is jam packed with various projects and books including a flower arranging course from Australia.

Successes have included -
The re-covering of my parents three piece suite
A tartan coat dress for my mum
Dresses for my flower girls.

So it was no surprise to learn that my great grandfather was a tailor and my Nana a chocolate designer.
Where do I get my inspiration from?

I'm not sure really - I just like nice things. I love bright and funky fun fabrics as well as classy quality ones. If I like it, I buy it - even without a project in mind. I love to browse magazines and shops in the West End and think to myself ‘I could make that.’ I am in my element in Mandors and just love the Country Living Christmas Fayre. My mum’s house is a labyrinth of nic naks and curious - between us, hearts feature heavily.
So, whilst I have some "down time" from work I have been making friends with my sewing machine and glue gun again, and Sugar & Spice was born!

Currently I am making fashion scatter cushions, draught excluders, peg bags, doorstops and plush personalized cushions. Raggy Hearts are my thing too. I first did one about 4 years ago for .... my mum!

I am currently working on several other "lines" and have just got a rather large commission. So, as they say, watch this space....





We will indeed watch that space Angie. Angie's work will feature in this years Mother's Day Collection from With Love from Arran which will be available to view on the With Love from Arran facebook page.

Until tomorrow xx

No comments:

Post a Comment