Saturday 9 November 2013

Day 313 - all in a celebration. Xx

Saturday 9th November

 

Was it the dirty dancing, the Moomin shop, the string quartet or the stunning Degas in the national? I am not quite sure but what a truly memorable visit to London with my girl. I would never have thought it possible for the worst day of the year to be followed by the best of the year but that was, indeed, the case. If Thursday was incredibly hard to bear Friday was a joy. Can I dance dirty? I would think after all my training it would still be possible and as I sat in the Piccadilly theatre there were stirrings. These were quickly replaced by 'seat dancing' and singing. What a show and what a joy. Arguably the film, Dirty Dancing, has to have the most iconic moments in any one film. The audience knew that film very well and the Director of the stage production relied on that. The tension and joy built all the way until that iconic lift when the whole auditorium erupted. I erupted with it. So, I am thinking that Paul would approve of my tactic to use the theatre to restore the soul to a more peaceful place. The trauma of his memorial washed away and replaced with calm and very lovely memories.

 

Having a lovely hotel in Russell Square allowed for lots of hopping on and off tube trains mixed with a little bit of running through the torrential rain. On route to the theatre we walked along Regent street and admired the emerging Christmas windows. Once back at the hotel after the show we found our room strangely quiet so sleep came easily.

 

Saturday arrived with mug of tea and fruit bread while once more looking at the underground map to see what was possible before departing London late afternoon. To our delight we figured out that we could do the Christmas market at Convent garden and the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square and still make the train. Meeting up with Molly's best friend, Josie, in Convent Garden was very special. Sitting in a Turkish coffee house listening to a string quartet took that experience onto another level before the wandering round the market and the shops that make Convent Garden so special. The Moomin shop topped it for us as I recounted days when my daughter was Moomin Molly and I was Moomin Mummy. At 21 I am thinking Molly is just a little beyond that but I am not and could have bought everything in the shop.

 

Having embraced the Christmas market we set off to the National Gallery where we split up. I don't go round art galleries with other people because they always get on my nerves. Taking in great art is, for me, a deeply personal experience. Of course the impressionist masters were fabulous but I whisked round them to spend more time with the religious paintings of earlier centuries. These are not my thing really but I felt the need to try and engage and I was glad I did. Firstly, this part of the gallery was almost empty and secondly I started to fall in love. The beauty, I feel, is in the detail and once you start to see it it captivates your very being. I will return at some point to go round again and try and spend some time studying the painters.

 

My favourite painters were Degas and Picasso but I had not realised that Picasso adored the work of Degas and collected it. The man had very good taste. I am fascinated by the female form and how it is depicted through art. For me Degas captured the slight turn of the head or the gentle resting of the arm and Picasso captured the sexuality within. I did realise today just how much the city of Glasgow punches above its weight in art terms with the Burrell Collection and the Modern art gallery. Putting that alongside the modern art galleries in Edinburgh and I am thrilled to be living north of the border. London is a wonderful city but there are too many people in it making movement too complex and slow.

 

Saying our goodbyes to Josie, Molly and I trekked back to Kings Cross for the train to Lincoln. Tomorrow we meet up with her father for a precious day together before Pete and I head to Glasgow. Molly and I have created some wonderful memories that we shall carry always and I am sure that is just perfect for a 21st birthday celebration. And my favourite....the dance that was dirty....of course.

 

Until tomorrow. Xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment