Friday 29 November 2013

Day 333 - we were happy with the small fish.....xx

Friday 29th November

I have had some stupid ideas in my time but this has to top the lot.  Whatever made me think that Angie and I could swim with the big fish?  We were quite happy swimming around with the little guys.  The problem is my control button was broken years ago and now I just crash around my life thinking everything is possible.  And poor Angie has been caught up in as well.  She has been sewing at silly o'clock every night for weeks and I have woven and bound so much that my hands just won't work anymore. I am now at the stage where I can't find the scissors for the 100th time, the cat has hidden the ribbon and I dream of Christmas wreath making every night, all night. 


How I used to do all this all the time when we ran a wholesale gift business I will never know.  But I am properly certifiable.  That said, I am almost ready for the longest day of my life as we stand in a marquee in the middle of winter for almost 12 hours.  This really was an excellent idea.  Mind you it does rather remind me of the time when a lovely lady wanted me to the flowers for her wedding.  I quickly ascertained that this was a huge society wedding and spent weeks trying to talk her out of using me before giving in and then having to live with those consequences.  Let us hope the only consequences of tomorrow relate to lots and lots of sales.  Angie and I will be rocking up wearing at least 50 layers each to keep out the cold and lots of chocolate stashed in our pockets.  I am beginning to think this was, indeed, an excellent idea. 

The cat has been staring at me for days as if to say 'you are completely nuts' and I am sure she is right.  Sunday could well be the duvet day to end all duvet days and she will love this.  She will do her thing of stretching right out and a ridiculously stupid angle so as to take up most of the bed.  I will perch on the edge of the bed while covering myself with a postage stamp size of duvet.  She will smile before closing her eyes for the entire day.  There is a lot to look forward to on Sunday.


Once we hit December my agenda gets a make over to ensure that my family rise to the top and everything else has to settle somewhere below.  I love Christmas and spend lots of time with the children making each celebration as special as possible.  With our eldest now 21 you can never be sure of how many more we will celebrate all together.  We are not a family who goes mad on the shopping and we certainly don't wander around the supermarket with two trollies to fill in the week before Christmas.  That said we do like out traditions.  We don't touch a mince pie until 1st December (they will be joining me on my duvet Sunday), we leave or stockings outside our door for Father Christmas to fill and every year he gives the children a tangerine.  They never eat them but he gives them anyway. 

I may not believe in God but I do believe in family and use Christmas as a time to set us all up for the following year.  This is especially important when your children are older and their lives are that much more demanding.  Next year we should see our daughter graduate while the boys continue with their education from home.  We hope we shall see the beginnings of wedding flowers once more but this time growing most of our flowers and the further development of the willow crop.  So, Christmas as a family gives us time to just 'be' in each other's company and enjoy our family life. 

Molly will be home in a couple of weeks and the balance will be restored.  No one will see the TV remote for the duration of her stay, the cats and dogs will think it is Christmas every day while she is home and I will get to laugh at things that aren't really funny.  Perfect.  She usually sleeps for a few days and then the long walks begin followed by the perennial game of monopoly with warm mince pies and cream. 

This will be my cat's first Christmas so I am going to sew her her very own Christmas stocking and fill it with toys and treats.  She will still prefer Molly as soon as she steps over the threshold so I am going to have to do a lot better than that if I am to ensure some loyalty.  All the animals adore Molly so the pecking order is always most evident. 

So as November rolls into December we are into the final month for Scottish island mum.  And in that month she becomes more mum than anything else.  Just as it should be...

Until tomorrow.....keep everything crossed! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment